Tune transcriptions from CD Triúr sa Draighean

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Tune transcriptions from CD Triúr sa Draighean

Post by hans »

I bought this absolutely great CD 'Triúr sa Draighean' by Peadar O Riada, Martin Hayes & Caoimhin O Raghallaigh. I love Martin Hayes music. I started to learn by ear some of the tunes, then started out transcribing them. I put them on my website, and more will follow.

Perhaps one or the other Chiffer got the CD and could have a look at the transcriptions, displayed as sheet music, and can do some proof reading?
Here you can find them:
http://softflute.co.uk/Tunebook-1/HomePage

They could go on thesession.org, but I find the process of new tune submission so crazy, and then having only limited ability to edit them, or no ability to change the dot music image, does not encourage me.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Tune transcriptions from CD Triúr sa Draighean

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Better still, you can go right to the source: all tunes are as PDF on Peadar O Riada's website.

Here

A few pics here from the launch concert (in ennis)

My brain hurts

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I don't have the CD, hans ... Polkas are usually notated in 2/4, which captures the pulse better than 4/4. But I've seen both*, so it's just a suggestion.

* E.g., as I see, the Ó Riada PDFs. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Oh thanks for those pdfs! I can do my own proof reading now.

I've noted the polkas like
dB AG EG ED | dB AG Ae d2 | dB AG EG D2 | Dd B>A AG G2 :|
i.e. grouping pairs of eights, which felt like a way to emphasise the polka rythmn.

By the way, Polka Na Carraige Baine sounds like a variation of the Scottish NE ballad song "The Barnyards O' Delgaty". What does the name mean?

It is such a great CD to play and learn with, delightful!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Carraige Baine translates as (the) White Rock
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Ah. Like Carreg Wen in Welsh.
hans

Post by hans »

I took my transcriptions off the public web, since sheetmusic is available on Peadar Ó Riada's site. Back to the closet.

It is for me an interesting way to learn tunes while trying to transcribe them. And I find it quite difficult to correctly transcribe a tune from listening. I had to slow down a tune to 70% or even 50% speed, and often go over a section repeatedly. I hope it trains my ear. I am aware how easy errors arise, and that independent proof reading seems essential. Makes me even more aware how dodgy it is to get abc tunes on the web.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Learning tunes from this one is a good exercise. They're very clearly structured , simple tunes played at a very moderate pace. There are a few unexpected sequences but you'll find they make perfect sense on the concertina.

As I said on the 'learning' thread though, I had them bouncing around my head already after the launch concert so that probably made it a lot easier to pick them up.
My brain hurts

hans

Post by hans »

Do you know which of the tune are traditional, and which are original compositions? I'd also like to know what the other Irish title names mean, but I don't like to ask for too much from you.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

They're all Peadar O' Riada's compositions.

The sleeve notes etc are on this page. Most of the titles are explained there, aren't they? (genuinely asking, am not sure)
My brain hurts

hans

Post by hans »

Yes, most are explained on the notes. Thanks for the link! And thanks for making me aware of this album on the "learning tunes" thread a few days ago! Very happy now reading the stories attached to the tunes.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There's something really interesting about O'Riada's approach to music. He played here a few years ago and on the day he just called a few local musicians to do the gig with him. They didn't know what the plan was, they just turned up. Music was played as a foursome with O'Riada doing a few pieces on his own every now and again.

It created a lovely atmosphere, being unrehearsed created a sense of opennness and vulnerability almost that also ran through the Triúr sa Draighean project, and the performances of Cór Cúil Aodha. Overall it makes for very personal performances and I think that approach works very well for him (and the musicians he cooperates with).

It took me a while to realise you hadn't bought the actual CD but a download without any information or notes.

Filmmaker Dónal Ó Céilleachair has made a film about the whole Triúr project see for info and preview here
My brain hurts

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thanks for the extra notes and insight. This is one of my favorite recordings ever, and both listening to and playing along with it do something wonderful for repairing my weary soul. The thing I hear that's so cool is that they all really LISTEN to one another and enjoy every note -- they're not just playing through tunes or sets; they're fully inhabiting every moment and playing off each other. I wonder if O'Riada's loose and "without a net" approach fosters that "hyperlistening?" Whatever, it's pure magic.

Thanks again for the detail!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.