Chieftains early albums

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Chieftains early albums

Post by FJohnSharp »

Is there anywhere one can download the early Chieftain albums? Say, 1 through 4 or 5? People say they're the best ones.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Two through five would be my suggestion. AFAIK they're all 'in print' (whatever that means, these days). I'd think that any large mainstream commercial download source oughta have them.

Start with 2. As far as I can tell, each was recorded with the players all playing along to click tracks and then mixed down. That's the source of their clean clean sound, unusual for the era and for trad, but it's also the source of their stiffness.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I would check itunes but they may or may not have the early ones. I have all of their albums, some of the harder to find ones, I downloaded and the others I bought I eBay.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Claddagh has re-issued all these albums on CD. <A TARGET="NEW" HREF="http://www.claddaghrecords.com/www/sear ... >Available for purchase on-line.</A>

C9 is my favourite, but I'm bent that way.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I am partial to the Chieftains Live! album. One tune on that album features each member playing a short solo as they are introduced. I prefer hearing them live (on album) with an audience. You miss something when you don't hear Paddy banter on between songs and yelping during them. :D
mukade

Post by mukade »

Trad Tunes have:

Chieftains 1,2,3,4,7
Chieftains Live!
Boil the Breakfast Early

Full albums are £7.99 or you can buy tracks for £0.79 each.
They offer 128Kbps MP3 or WMA files.

I bought Chieftains Live! from them a while ago. It's a good service.
I just wish they had a wider catalogue of CDs.

http://tradtunes.com and do an artist search for Chieftains.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

awesome, thanks
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Persoanlly, I love #7, and Sean Potts playing in particular.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

#4 was my first purchase of Irish music so it will have a soft spot in my heart. Learned Hewlett from that album as my first fiddle tune.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Yeah start with 1 through 4. The Best of The Chieftains is basically a compilation of 7-9, still a nice listen though. Then after that I would get Water From The Well. Of course for me, I have just about all their albums. :D
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
rance

Post by rance »

You might try "the very best of the claddagh years" which comes from their first five records.

But, "water from the well" is still my favourite.