Name that tune mega thread

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Name that tune mega thread

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZfbg3GV_xo
And oh, I just recognised it, it is the Cook in the Kitchen

It isn't. It's Taim in Arrears (or Moll Roe, if you prefer that).
My brain hurts

ertwert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ertwert »

Oh...and again you are right..sry...of course..now it got really embarrassing for me
ertwert

Post by ertwert »

Hi, can someone help me out with the name of the first tune?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0KGev3EEEM
The description says Jim Donoghue's, but I couldn't find a tune under this name that is a match for this melody.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's a very simple and easy tune. Can't help with a name other than the thought it is a version of a tune that Lucy Farr played that I believe she called Andy Dowy's or Davy's or something like that.

Takes about two minutes to pick up, even without a title though.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

ertwert wrote:Hi, can someone help me out with the name of the first tune?
The description says Jim Donoghue's, but I couldn't find a tune under this name that is a match for this melody.
It seems to be a tune that Nigel Gatherer has as "Andy Dowy's Reel". And yes, he gives the source as Lucy Farr, as Mr G suggested. Oh, and it's on the session.org as "Andy Davy's". Both of those settings have a slightly different B part, but close enough for it to be the same tune, I reckon.
ertwert

Post by ertwert »

[quote="Mr.Gumby"[

Takes about two minutes to pick up, even without a title though.[/quote]

Yes I know. The reason that I regularly tend to ask for names is not, that I need the sheet music to learn them. I am writing all tunes I learn into my the session.org profile, so that I don't loose the overview and can recap them from time to time. And its always nice to be able to check how much recordings of one and the same tune vary.
And there are many tunes I like that people at my local sessions don't know or at least wouldn't start - therefore I need to do this "bookkeeping" to increase my repertoire. Especially during this times.
And thanks for the help - again :D
benhall.1 wrote:
ertwert wrote:Hi, can someone help me out with the name of the first tune?
It seems to be a tune that Nigel Gatherer has as "Andy Dowy's Reel". And yes, he gives the source as Lucy Farr, as Mr G suggested. Oh, and it's on the session.org as "Andy Davy's". Both of those settings have a slightly different B part, but close enough for it to be the same tune, I reckon.
thanks for your help :)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's listed on 'Heart and Home' as Andy Davy's. Track 17. I had a memory of it last night and did check the names onl;ine before posting.
Both of those settings have a slightly different B part, but close enough for it to be the same tune, I reckon.
I thought, the questions are the same but the responses are different, or vice versa. But basically just a different take on the same material.

Tunes like this show you can make nice music with not a lot to go on but they emphasise the need for lift, rhythm, clear phrasing and variation to keep away the boredom. If lacking any of it, you haven't much left.
I am writing all tunes I learn into my the session.org profile, so that I don't loose the overview and can recap them from time to time.
It's a good idea to keep record of tunes, I tend to forget I learned tunes and when I do they disappear. So I write them down, pencil in a little black Moleskine book, I find that serves me better than having computer based collections of stuff. Jotted down these two, just in case.
My brain hurts

ertwert

Post by ertwert »

hi guys, can someone tell me the name of this barn dance? Mighty fluting and tune :)
https://fb.watch/cyN92a0q9n/
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's (O')Dwyer's hornpipe.

Classic Seamus Ennis Groves/Dwyer's hornpipes
My brain hurts