Style becomes apparent

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Style becomes apparent

Post by Flogging Jason »

St Augustine is a city that, despite being populated by transplants from all over, is devoid of a Trad scene. And so I reach out through craigslist and such looking for other musicians. The people I find are only slightly familiar with ITrad but they play it well enough that I have a great time. I've played whistle for over a decade but have never really gotten to play and learn from people who are truly into the music(except for my dad, a ghb piper of some 40 years).

And so last night I met up with a young lady who plays the whistle and tenor banjo. She's from New York and is in town visiting. It turns out that she has the opportunity to learn from people like Joanie Madden and Mary Bergin. She's taken lessons from people in Ireland and played and met many people deeply steeped in Trad music. It really shows too! She's only been playing for a couple of years but doesn't at all sound like a beginner.

It became apparent the impact that her experiences have on her style. My style of playing is very different. The great thing was getting to play together. My only regret is that we couldn't play longer. I would have loved that chance to learn a few tricks from her.

Does anybody else find it exciting to play with others who have a different style from your own?
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

It's not the instrument, but the calibre of player you meet. Always try to learn from others who are better than yourself (requires first admitting you're a punter). Something that was pointed out to me by an Irish piper who was over here for a short time, when I asked about the different styles of playing between what I was hearing here and what was coming over from Ireland, he pointed out that my playing wouldn't improve until I was exposed on a regular basis to better players so I could pick up the little nuances that made for better playing. The more I listen, the more I realize the truth of what he said.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

djm wrote: he pointed out that my playing wouldn't improve until I was exposed on a regular basis to better players so I could pick up the little nuances that made for better playing.

djm
This is exactly why I plan on travelling once my probation ends. I really want to spend more time in the company of other musicians and learn more. I play well enough....but I could play even better by having more influences through experience.
Montana

Re: Style becomes apparent

Post by Montana »

Flogging Jason wrote:Does anybody else find it exciting to play with others who have a different style from your own?
OMG, yes!

We've gotten quite inbred where I am. There aren't many of us and none have much experience. We know tunes because the dots are out there and the recordings are out there. But most of us are teaching ourselves.

Just about 6 months ago, a fiddler showed up in our midst. She has been in the cities and has played with dynamite players. She has taken lessons from people and played her arse off. And like you say, it showed with the first thing she played. At least for me. She had that Irish feel that was so apparent.
It was like water to a man in the desert. It sparked things around here and now everyone is playing more and learning new tunes. Just one person but boy, what a difference! I am just so excited to go play all the time.
She's only here for the year probably, which bums me out. I've already predicted that when she leaves, that spark will leave with her. But ya never know.

So yah, I know exactly what you mean!
maze

styles

Post by maze »

jason,

just to remind you that there is a whole slew of us just an hour away who have learned from different sources throughout the US and ireland... all you have to do is let us know when you want to have a session - plus we have almost weekly sessions here in gville.

we don't have to be so isolated, and are all here to help each other.
Maze
PNB

Post by PNB »

Montana, where exactly are you at, in Montana? Anywhere close to Billings?
Montana

Post by Montana »

Nope. Not near Billings. :( I was born there though. And my mom's family lives in Joliet.

No, I'm over in the west - County Missoula. :wink: