The Road to Ballyalla

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Martino
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, i am Martino from Italy, i love irish music and i play uilleann pipes and other bagpipes, I'm here because I'd like to learn something about reed making and chanter making, and in general learning new things about bagpipes making and maintenance, thanks, ciao, Martino

The Road to Ballyalla

Post by Martino »

hi, could someone please tell me something about a wonderful tune by Davy Spillane entitled: "the road to Ballyalla"... the piece is made up of an air and two reels and some moments (I think) of improvisation... the question is: were the two reels composed by Davy Spillane? do the two reels have a title? Thanks in advance if anyone can answer, Martino
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: The Road to Ballyalla

Post by MichaelLoos »

The first part of the first reel is a version of "The Connemara Stocking" or "Apples in Winter", the second part is from a different tune I can't think of at the moment.
The second reel is Hughie Travers' No. 2.
Martino
Tell us something.: Hi, i am Martino from Italy, i love irish music and i play uilleann pipes and other bagpipes, I'm here because I'd like to learn something about reed making and chanter making, and in general learning new things about bagpipes making and maintenance, thanks, ciao, Martino

Post by Martino »

thank you Michael Loos for answering my question, you are very kind, I have been listening to Davy Spillane since the late 90s and the Road to Ballyalla has always impressed me, over the years I have tried to look for information about it and I have never found anything and now thanks to this forum and thanks to you I was able to get the information I was looking for for years! Thank you
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

I've just looked at this on Youtube. I'm afraid I have to disagree with some of the above. "The Connemara Stocking" isn't played at all. There are 3 tunes. The first track starts with a slowed down version of the traditional reel "Tom Ward's Downfall". The Second reel, played at full speed is "The Happy Days Of Youth" [ "McKenna's #2 ]. The final reel is the second "Hughie Travers' Reel" as recorded by Matt Molloy on his first solo album.
To the best of my knowledge, all 3 are "traditional", and without a doubt older than Davy Spillane.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

You are perfectly right Kenny - McKenna's no.2 - I got them mixed up. Thanks very much!
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Happens to us all Michael. I've had a few real howlers on "thesession.org" recently !
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"