The job of songs

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The job of songs

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Should be of some interest. The documentary has been around for a bit (I missed a screening in Kilkee a year ago) but it seems to be getting more exposure at the moment. A lot of the usual suspects:

The job of songs
Lila Schmitz’s documentary offers a candid look at Irish music and community struggles in a small Irish village known for its bar-room sessions
Lila Schmitz’s film diligently unpicks a paradox at the heart of Doolin’s musical continuum: that it both fends off and nourishes an endemic black dog.

The job of songs : review
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: The job of songs

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks for this. I like how it touches - more like inspects, actually - more on the community and its individuals, and what the music expresses of them. To me this has always been the heart of the matter: I can communicate, through the music, what I otherwise have no voice for.

Never knew the metaphor of the "black dog" until now. You learn something new every day. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr.Gumby

Re: The job of songs

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Never knew the metaphor of the "black dog" until now
Samuel Johnson:
When I rise my breakfast is solitary, the black dog waits to share it, from breakfast to dinner he continues barking...
My brain hurts