Seán Keane - RIP

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Seán Keane - RIP

Post by Mr.Gumby »

RTE news just announced the unexpected death of fiddle player Sean Keane.

RTE news item
My brain hurts

Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Re: Seán Keane - RIP

Post by Moof »

Oh, that's really sad news. What a player, and apparently a really nice fella as well.

Condolences to his family and friends.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Obit @ ITMA

This morning just before nine Paddy Glackin was on Claire Byrne's programme on RTE 1 radio. He gave a good summing up- of Keane as a person and of his music.

It's only a week or two The Chieftains, or what was left of them, played for Joe Biden on a visit to Mayo, it was announced as their final performance.

Most people will probably look on him as a member of the⁰ Chieftains but there was so much more. He was a member of the Castle Ceili band, which Mick O' Connor told me they formed while still in secondary school. There were the duets and trios with old friends Liam O'Flynn and Matt Molloy, the solo playing and what have you.

Only last summer a fine documentary on his life and music, Sean Keane: A Portrait of an Artist was premiered. He played a bit after the screening, with his brother James and Matt Molloy:

Here he is, again with James, who had just returned for a visit from the States, and old friends Mick O'Connor, Peter O'Loughlin and Maeve Donnelly.

With Mick Tubridy, channelling the old Ceoltóirí Chualann (I remember clearly they were playing An Ríl Mór):

May he rest well.

My brain hurts

ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:46 am
Only last summer a fine documentary on his life and music, Sean Keane: A Portrait of an Artist was premiered. He played a bit after the screening, with his brother James and Matt Molloy:
This documentary was put onto Youtube the other day, and not reading the video description closely, I was simply excited to see a film about Seane Keane and I didn't realise why it had been posted.

Sad news indeed.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

Very sad news indeed.

Sean was definitely one of the giants of Irish Music and fiddle playing in particular.

He was also a lovely gentle man. When Peadar O'Loughlin ran the B session in Hillarys' he would be found in the corner, listening away and chatting with everyone.

I see that the NPU have put up a set of videos, recorded April this year, of Sean Keane and Gay McKeon playing on stage in the Cobblestone.

John
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts