Upcoming book: No better boy

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Upcoming book: No better boy

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It is a good moment in time for bookish lovers of Clare music. Dan Worral's book on the music of Chris Droney will be launched in the next couple of weeks and Helen O'Shea's No better boy: listening to Paddy Canny will be out by early May.

Things to look forward to. :)
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Upcoming book: No better boy

Post by PB+J »

I read excerpts from No Better Boy--it's excellent
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I understand there's a review due shortly in 'the Journal of Music'.
I was promised a copy of the book some time ago and am waiting in great anticipation. Canny was really one of the all time greats and I can listen to his music forever, there's such great heart in it. The album with Peter O'Loughlin, Bridie Lafferty and P Joe Hayes is one of the grest classic recordings of Irish traditional music.

Now, somebody should do a book on West Clare fiddlers, Casey for starters..
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Helen O Shea is a very insightful writer and clearly loves Canny's playing

I wish they would make it available as a digital edition--shipping to the states in 18 euro, close to doubling the cost of the book
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

Am looking forward to getting both books.

When I started playing music I lifted a lot of tunes from Chris Droney. Even today, with all the absolutely wonderful concertina players around, I'm still drawn back to Chris' playing. Surprisingly his versions of tunes fits the pipes quite well and I regularly play the Bellharbour Reel set of his. To me, some of the best music has an apparent simplicity about it (until you try to emulate it) and Chris' music has always fitted into that category. I've only met the man once, a long time ago, but I've listened to him on numerous occasions.

I like Paddy's playing as well but for different reasons.

Thanks for bring these to my attention.

John
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You're welcome John.

Dan 's book will see a launch on the opening night of Consairtín, which is in a week or two. And copies will be in Custy's by then.

I don't know if there is a launch for the Canny book planned or if it will just appear in the shops. I had a 'permission to use' email from Lilliput press' publicity department so they are doing something to make a bit of a fuss about it publicity wise.

My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There's a launch event for the Canny book planned at ITMA see here

My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Found the book newly available in Banner books in Ennistymon (shout out to a really good shop :wink: ) just now so picked up a copy. Possibly easier than making my way to Dublin for the launch on the 15th as was the plan. Looks like a job well done. The story is told through a collection of vignettes. The book is a larger format than I expected, paper of a quality that doesn't weather very well in a cottage in the West of Ireland but it will last my time I suppose. Not all photos requested used, slightly disappointing on a personal level, ah well.

Anyhow, it's out in the shops.

My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

I got a copy of the Paddy Canny book from the library to see what it was like before I bought it.

Not my cup of tea at all. I felt very uncomfortable around some of the personal details that were mentioned in the book.

John