my favourite irland related movie

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
folkcollector
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a worldwide folk music lover and collector and searching for rare uk folk to listen! I hope to find some others to help me here! thank you!

my favourite irland related movie

Post by folkcollector »

'The quiet man', with John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Barry Fitzgerald, Ward Bond and Victor McLaglen. some nice traditional music in the movie also!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quiet_Man

Music
Ford chose his friend, Hollywood composer Victor Young, to compose the score for the film. Young sprinkled the soundtrack with many Irish airs such as the "Rakes of Mallow" and "The Wild Colonial Boy". One piece of music, chosen by Ford himself, is most prominent: the melody the "Isle of Innisfree", written not by Young, but by the Irish policeman/songwriter Richard Farrelly. The melody of the "Isle of Innisfree", which is first heard over the opening credit sequence with Ashford Castle in the background, becomes the principal musical theme of The Quiet Man. The melody is reprised at least eleven times throughout the film.

The upbeat melody comically hummed by Michaeleen Oge Flynn and later played on the accordion is the "Rakes of Mallow".

A portion of the Irish version of "The Wild Colonial Boy" is played throughout the film.

When Maureen O'Hara died in October 2015, her family stated she listened to music from The Quiet Man during her final hours.[14] Filmmaker George A. Romero was also said to have died listening to the score.[15]
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: my favourite irland related movie

Post by PB+J »

I've got very mixed feeling about that movie. The scene where he drags her physically across the countryside doesn't hold up all that well. It's interesting how it buries the politics of land ownership and emigration in gauzy green romanticism. Why would the IRA want to burn Danaher's house down, do you think? Why does the widow have an English accent? How come she owns the Thornton's land? Why did the Thornton's have to emigrate?

Also like so many Irish themed films it's almost impossible to tell what year it is. Until the car shows up and the phone is invoked it could be 1850: then it could be anywhere between 1910 and 1950. Ireland as "Brigadoon."

The original short story on which its based is worth a read:
https://gutenberg.ca/ebooks/walshm-quie ... -00-h.html

So is Roddy Doyle's "Last Roundup" trilogy the last volume of which has a lot to say (fictional, with some loose basis in fact) about John Ford and the making of The Quiet Man. By all accounts Ford wanted to make a much more explicitly "political" movie that would touch more directly on land ownership in the republic, but he was restrained by Ward Bond, (father lonergan) who was a ferocious anti-communist.

BTW there is a brilliant scene with Ford in Steven Spielberg's movie "The Fablemans," which I found only so-so till that ending scene.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

folkcollector wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:43 am When Maureen O'Hara died in October 2015, her family stated she listened to music from The Quiet Man during her final hours.[14] Filmmaker George A. Romero was also said to have died listening to the score.[15]
Not a great selling point for the recording...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Ok that was funny
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Probably the worst film set Ireland ever? 😂
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

For my taste
Music - The Boys and Girls of County Clare
War of Independence - Michael Collins and The Wind That Shakes the Barley
The troubles - Hidden Agenda (dir Ken Loach)
Land rights - The Field
Modern Life - Twin Town
Thriller - The Wonder
Traveller Life - Into the West

And so many more out there if you search
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Nah, 'The Guard' :P
My brain hurts

jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Wind That Shakes The Barley
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

ostseemoewe
Tell us something.: I am a flute player from Rostock, Germany. In 2017 I bought my first wooden flute. I like playing in sessions, but I also really enjoy making music in small groups.

Post by ostseemoewe »

Brooklyn with Saoirse Ronan :)