Inchiquin

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
folkcollector
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a worldwide folk music lover and collector and searching for rare uk folk to listen! I hope to find some others to help me here! thank you!

Inchiquin

Post by folkcollector »

hello there, I am looking for digital files of a rare folk lp, 'Inchiquin' from the 70s. can you help me?
thank you, Dimi
Mr.Gumby

Re: Inchiquin

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have the lp and may have digitised it for someone years ago, If this thread is anything to go by I must have done something but I am not sure I still have the files or that I even did more than a few tracks. I will have a look but am not making any promises.

A later iteration of the group, after half of them went to form Stockton's Wing, did the German folkfestival tour,. Barry Moore (before he became Luka Bloom) as the backer with Hill and Linnane. They recorded for the German festival lps.

Noel Hill did a public interview during the Concertina Cruinniú last month about the making of The Irish Concertina, which was having its 35 year anniversary. During it he talked a bit about the Inchquin recording and how his father had to sign the contracts because Noel was 16 or so at the time (he was wearing the school uniform on the cover photo)
The interview was filmed for ITMA and wil go up on their site in due course, if you're into that sort of thing.
My brain hurts

folkcollector
Tell us something.: I am a worldwide folk music lover and collector and searching for rare uk folk to listen! I hope to find some others to help me here! thank you!

Post by folkcollector »

thank you! please take your time, could trade something perhaps if you can do it !! best
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The digital recorder was playing up but I got things running, I hope. Uploading the files now.

Image Image

Best if you ask the mods to activate your PM privileges so I can send the links once I am done. You may need to make another post before you get activated.
My brain hurts

folkcollector

Post by folkcollector »

many thanks so far. I did another post, hope it will be ok!
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:19 pm I have the lp and may have digitised it for someone years ago, If this thread is anything to go by I must have done something but I am not sure I still have the files or that I even did more than a few tracks. I will have a look but am not making any promises.

A later iteration of the group, after half of them went to form Stockton's Wing, did the German folkfestival tour,. Barry Moore (before he became Luka Bloom) as the backer with Hill and Linnane. They recorded for the German festival lps.

Noel Hill did a public interview during the Concertina Cruinniú last month about the making of The Irish Concertina, which was having its 35 year anniversary. During it he talked a bit about the Inchquin recording and how his father had to sign the contracts because Noel was 16 or so at the time (he was wearing the school uniform on the cover photo)
The interview was filmed for ITMA and wil go up on their site in due course, if you're into that sort of thing.
While out driving last Saturday night I was listening to Ceili House on RTE. Kieran Hanrahan was interviewing Maurice Lennon. Maurice said that his father, Ben Lennon, had heard the young group Inchiquin and had really liked their approach and music. Maurice said that Ben arranged for Maurice to meet the band members and to play music with them. This led to a life long friendship between Maurice and Kieran and to the founding of the group Stocktons Wing.

Sometimes musical partnerships can grow organically and sometimes they get a helping hand from a parent. :)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Just to fill out the group's discography (I had the lp out anyway to check a recording of a tune I learned recently from Padraic Keane and Conor Connolly, thanks Kenny for help identifying it).

This from the 4th German Folkfestival tour :

My brain hurts

folkcollector

Post by folkcollector »

yes, four tracks on this compilation, but this is very easy to get on vinyl, will do soon....cheers :)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I am not overly concerned with what is rare (or not) and all that, it's the music I am interested in. And these tracks show just how much Hill and Linnane had grown as a duet, barely a year after recording that first lp. Another year and they'd make one of the great classic recordings of traditional music.

Here's one of the four tracks, again with thanks to Kenny for putting it on yertube : Inchiquin 1977 : Star of Munster/Bucks of Oranmore

And they can still go back there, occasionally. Here they are revisiting their old tunes in 2013, 36 years after the clip above. Alec Finn was playing the bouzouki on the night:

My brain hurts

kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Somebody posted the song "Lonesome Robin" on "Youtube" :
https://youtu.be/6iBoViWyBiA
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

And he's still singing it see here. Interesting how his voice has changed.

I remember him from the early 80s, pre Luka Bloom days. One particular night when he was touring with Manus Lunny, doing a concert for an audience of six. We took them to a place across the way after and played music. YouTube reminded me of the 'In Groningen' album, which I had at the time and I can only guess at where that went. Anyhow, he's been living around the area for a good while now and I come across him regularly.

There was one memorable new year's concert some years ago with Sweeney's Men. Andy Irivine sang 'the West Coast of Clare' (ofcourse he did). Luka Bloom was sitting behind me with his sister Anne Rynne and her husband Davoc (who are also by his side in the video I linked above). They were quietly singing harmonies from the audience while outside the windows in the early January dark, the Atlantic waves were battering the Spanish Point beach. Sent the shivers up my spine. Sorrow and sadness. And the rest of it.
My brain hurts

folkcollector

Post by folkcollector »

I do have the great Barry Moore, Eamon Murray - In Groningen lp !!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

folkcollector wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:05 pm I do have the great Barry Moore, Eamon Murray - In Groningen lp !!
As it happens, Clare fm just did a little profile: In profile : Luka Bloom
My brain hurts