'B', Cormac Begley's Bass Concertina album

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

'B', Cormac Begley's Bass Concertina album

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Last night I was at a modern dance performance, MÁM by Teac Damsa. It's a production completely devised, created and produced in the Corca Dhuinhne Gaeltacht. Twelve international contemporary dancers, seven musicians from the Berlin based Stargaze collective and concertina player Cormac Begley. The performance is shaped around the musical heritage of Corca Duibhne, personified by Cormac Begley.

Wonderful, intense performance of 80 minutes (without break). With a minutes long standing ovation at the end.

They're touring Ireland for another month.

Image Image Image

At the venue some of Begley's recordings were available, including his latest, all Bass concertina album 'B'. I had heard it was coming but hadn't come across it yet. It desrves a mention here as it is probably the first all bass concertina album.

Like (the collector's version) of his earlier recording, the cover is shaped like the concertina, inside more images of the inside of the instrument. Recommended. If you're into that sort of thing, ofcourse.

[Cross-posted on concertina.net]
My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: 'B', Cormac Begley's Bass Concertina album

Post by PB+J »

I love what he's doing with the bass concertina, as well as with the other voices . Fierce player, didn't know about the dance --thank you

Note there appears to be a mummified ram, or ram's head, on the stage?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Note there appears to be a mummified ram, or ram's head, on the stage?
He wore that at the start, using the concertina only to make wind noises. I was dying to take a pic but the hall was too quiet to release a loud shutter/mirror noise and cause a distraction. Lovely pic of him wearing it on the cover of the programme booklet hough.

Promo video on Youtube
My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

RTE aired a documentary last night about the genesis of the dance production I mentioned above, Mám. It concentrates on the creative process and the dance. Lovely stuff, if you're into that sort of thing : The Dance

John Kelly's interview with Begley is still up there too:

The Works presents : Cormac Begley
My brain hurts

ostseemoewe
Tell us something.: I am a flute player from Rostock, Germany. In 2017 I bought my first wooden flute. I like playing in sessions, but I also really enjoy making music in small groups.

Post by ostseemoewe »

I love the album art of the vinyl edition. It seems to be a laser cut in paper which displsys the ornamented side of a concertina. The concertina is by far the most aesthetic instrument in folk, isn't it? :love: :love:
Last edited by ostseemoewe on Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
cassidybole
Tell us something.: I'm a flute enthusiast and what to share the ideas with fellow learners. I have always been keen to more about flute world.

Post by cassidybole »

What a remarkable experience! The convergence of dance, music, and cultural heritage sounds captivating. The collaboration between contemporary dancers, musicians, and Cormac Begley's concertina must have been mesmerizing. A standing ovation speaks volumes about its impact. Thanks for sharing, and I hope more people get to enjoy this incredible performance during their Ireland tour!
\
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

cassidybole wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:59 am What a remarkable experience! The convergence of dance, music, and cultural heritage sounds captivating. The collaboration between contemporary dancers, musicians, and Cormac Begley's concertina must have been mesmerizing. A standing ovation speaks volumes about its impact. Thanks for sharing, and I hope more people get to enjoy this incredible performance during their Ireland tour!
\

This AI-bot reviving random old threads with inane posts all the time is a very unwelcome development. It's becoming a pain and contributes nothing worthwhile.
Just feck off.
My brain hurts