(Julie Fowlis) Traditional Scottish Tin Whistle Tunes

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
skarp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: i play the whistle badly. Just wanted to tell people about the customs charges on buying a warbl for UK peeps

(Julie Fowlis) Traditional Scottish Tin Whistle Tunes

Post by skarp »

Please forgive asking about 'Scottish' tunes here but I know many tunes are common to both Scotland and Ireland

https://youtu.be/hayyUsxYBeU

I've just discovered this on youtube but would love to know more about it. The only artist listed is Julie Fowlis who, while an talented multi-instrumentalist seems mostly a gaelic singer on her albums. It doesn't seem to be one of her albums. Is it a compilation of sets from her albums? I'd love to know what the tunes are. It's right up my street. Thanks
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: (Julie Fowlis) Traditional Scottish Tin Whistle Tunes

Post by Nanohedron »

skarp wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:12 am Please forgive asking about 'Scottish' tunes here ...
No worries! Julie is well-loved and highly respected here, as is the tradition she comes from. She's one of my all-time faves. Many of our fellow Chiffers are Scots themselves, so despite the title of this forum, there are no cultural imperatives to be borne in that regard. If you want to talk about Scottish music in specific, you will be sure to have not only an audience, but guidance too. :)

Not everything she plays in that recording (or at all, for that matter) is Scottish, strictly speaking; the third tune, where she slips back into solo mode to play a reel, is Are You Ready Yet?, composed by Tom Doorley of the Irish band Danú, and brother to Julie's husband Éamonn. Here's a video of her performing with Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh where they mix it up with both Scottish and Irish songs and tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raOhfgsft8I

And here's one from the Transatlantic Sessions, where she sings a Scottish song about life on the high seas (with more Irish stuff in the mix):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCpCQumN9xE

She's an exponent of the Scottish tradition, no question, but it's also evident that in the end, if she likes it, it's good enough for her.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

The first track comes from Julie's first solo CD, "Mar A Tha Mo Chridhe" - it's track #4, starting with "The Thornton Jig".
5mins 29s - is from the same CD, track #7, starting with "John O'Groats House".
8min 17s - track #10 from the "Dual" CD made with Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh.
12min 20s - track #6, taken from her 2nd CD, "Cuilidh".
16min 03s - back to the first CD - Track #11, starting with Fred Morrison's "Seanaidh's Tune".
19min 40s - I think is track #5 from "Dual", because of the polkas.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
skarp
Tell us something.: i play the whistle badly. Just wanted to tell people about the customs charges on buying a warbl for UK peeps

Post by skarp »

many thanks for the info folks