Tune ID please

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Tune ID please

Post by benhall.1 »

I don't know why my brain has suddenly dredged this one up, but of course, now that it has, it's driving me nuts. What is it? By the way, it's kind of slow, like a steady (though not slow) march, if you see what I mean.

X:1
T:
M:2/4
R:
K:EDor
EB BA/F/ | AB/c/ d/B/e | EB BA/F/ | A/d/B/A/ F/E/D/F/ | E
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Re: Tune ID please

Post by NicoMoreno »

It kind of looks like it could be the Meenatoiten March (often incorrectly called the March of Meenatoiten Bull, which is the name John Doherty used for his version of 100 Drunken Pipers).
https://thesession.org/tunes/5252
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

NicoMoreno wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:57 am It kind of looks like it could be the Meenatoiten March (often incorrectly called the March of Meenatoiten Bull, which is the name John Doherty used for his version of 100 Drunken Pipers).
https://thesession.org/tunes/5252
That's absolutely it! Funnily enough, I had just tried Tunepal again only in A, and had just found it when I saw your post. That you very much for looking. Do you play it with anything?
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

All the Donegal Amix marches work well together! I don't play this one as often though, as it's less interesting (not uninteresting though!) to me than the March of the Meenatoiten Bull (all three parts) and the Piper's March Through the Cave.

Adding to say that it's especially fun to play my little antique union pipes set with only the tenor and A drone going, and the regulator playing the A, like here: https://nicolasbrown.bandcamp.com/track ... -jig-march
It's like a set of highland pipe marches without the volume
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

NicoMoreno wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:45 pm All the Donegal Amix marches work well together! I don't play this one as often though, as it's less interesting (not uninteresting though!) to me than the March of the Meenatoiten Bull (all three parts)
More or less version 7 on the session.org?
NicoMoreno wrote: and the Piper's March Through the Cave.
I've just learned a Donegal march called "The piper in the cave". I assume it is the same tune. I think so. Paul O'Shaughnessy has a nice recording of it.
NicoMoreno wrote:Adding to say that it's especially fun to play my little antique union pipes set with only the tenor and A drone going, and the regulator playing the A, like here: https://nicolasbrown.bandcamp.com/track ... -jig-march
It's like a set of highland pipe marches without the volume
That does sound fun. Not something i can participate in, sadly. Still, fiddle and flute - I shouldn't be too greedy.
NicoMoreno

Post by NicoMoreno »

Yes, that's the same tune, I learned it from this video of Paul O'Shaughnessy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHT99lYqCdY I guess I changed the name due to the story that goes with it!

And yes, more or less that version. In the recording of Johnny Doherty he plays the tune ABCBA and stops, but I just play it ABC / ABC etc repeat as much as you'd like.

Anyway, regarding pipes, you just need to do the thing Doherty did, tuning to D,DAD or whatever he did to mimic the pipes on the fiddle... I know there was a string involved pulling at least two strings closer together...
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

kenny wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:19 pm https://youtu.be/kBdRvEK9k2I
That's extraordinary! Thank you for that.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

NicoMoreno wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:00 pm And yes, more or less that version. In the recording of Johnny Doherty he plays the tune ABCBA and stops, but I just play it ABC / ABC etc repeat as much as you'd like.
You haven't got a link to Doherty playing it, have you (the Meenatoiten Bull, 3 parts, that is)? I can't find it ...
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Irish tune info page lists recordings and gives a sample of the first twelve seconds of each : here. It's something, for starters.
My brain hurts

NicoMoreno

Post by NicoMoreno »

Indeed, I have it from the recording Bundle and Go listed by Alan Ng. It sounds like the Celebrated Recordings is actually a different recording (and Alan is meticulous about dates, so...) and one I'd like to get!
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I probably need to get hold of some of those recordings.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

OK. I've found Doherty's version of The Drunken Piper, and I see what you mean about ABCB. I think in this instance, I would play it as ABC (repeat) as you you do, NicoMoreno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBmklRRIIcs