Liam Weldon - Dark horse on the wind

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Liam Weldon - Dark horse on the wind

Post by Mr.Gumby »

During the Willie week I saw a special screening of the film Dark horse on the wind by Myles O Reilly, about the late singer Liam Weldon.

I had Weldon's lp of the same title, around 1980, perhaps at an age before I would fully sppreciate its intensity and subject matter, and lost it soon after to a partner, parting ways. Much, in recent years, to my chagrin.

The film was beautiful, compelling and emotional. Highly recommended if you are into that sort of thing.

For those unfamiliar with Weldon, the tracks of his recording are on YouTube-Here
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Liam Weldon - Dark horse on the wind

Post by Nanohedron »

I was struck by the comment that Weldon thought that the singer shouldn't sing the song, but the song should sing the singer. I totally get that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Miles O Reilly has posted some footage taken during the filming of the documentary on youtube:

Thomas McCarthy sings in tribute to Liam Weldon
My brain hurts

Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

When I started out playing Liam ran a Saturday afternoon session in Taylor's Hall in Dublin. I was about 18/19 at the time and I had no real respect then for the song tradition but Liam had a great way about him. He played the bodhran as well and seem to enjoy playing along with the few tunes I had on the whistle. He was a big man with a booming voice but also very witty and welcomed everybody in. You could see that he had a great love of the music.

I too bought that LP but only really listened to a couple of tracks. I too lost it somewhere along the way.

Cheers

John