How to pronounce An Speic Seoigheach ?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Flotineer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

How to pronounce An Speic Seoigheach ?

Post by Flotineer »

American English speaker here. Could someone help me pronounce this, please? I know I won’t get it right, but I appreciate any help getting it better!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: How to pronounce An Speic Seoigheach ?

Post by Nanohedron »

Lovely, lovely tune. Got it from The Chieftains, but I'd forgotten all about it. Here's the recording: An Spéic Seóigheach

I believe An Spéic Seóigheach would be pronounced something akin to "on spayk shoyukh" (the U here is as in "pluck"; for right pronunciation, the accent marks will always matter). One source - Bunting - suggests it means "Joyce's Tune", but I'm not sure that's quite right, nor does it account for the definite article (an). Over at The Session it's listed as "The Cry Of The Joyce" (as in "battle-cry", no doubt). I'll cast my bet with that approximation.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Post by Flotineer »

Thank you so much!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

And thank you for resurrecting the tune for me. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician