R.I.P. Seán Tyrrell

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

R.I.P. Seán Tyrrell

Post by Steampacket »

Sad news Seån Tyrrell passed away yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWOX1glC1sA
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: R.I.P. Seán Tyrrell

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Ah sh*t, sorry to hear that. I was driving up to a concert on Friday night and heard himself and Davy Spillane on the radio singing One starry night. He was a great man for putting poems to music.

Sweet Ballyvaughan
My brain hurts

kenny

Post by kenny »

I'm very sorry to hear this. I only met Sean the once, a good few years ago, but it was a night he never forgot ! It was the first weekend of a Willie Clancy week I would think 1981, give or take a year. Myself and a flute player from Limerick, Sean White, went up to Ballyvaughan, as things in Miltown hadn't got going yet, and Sean had heard there was a good chance of a session there. Sean Tyrell was there, and an old concertina player named Micaleen O'Conlon, plus one or two others. A fine evening's music was had by one and all, and it came to the end of the night. Sean Tyrell had heard we were camped out in Miltown, and said if we'd give him a lift to Mullagh, he'd get us in to the late night session in Ollie Conway's. Sounded like a good idea, so we arrived in Mullagh maybe around 2am, and could hear there was a good going session on inside. Trouble was they weren't opening the door to anyone, but that didn't put Sean T. off. There is a yard with a 6 foot or so gate to the right of Conway's , so Sean would take a running jump up, get over and inside and let us in. What none of us knew was that a certain fiddler who was a family member at the time had run an electric wire along the top of the gate to discourage the very activity Sean was about to engage in. Well Sean did get a bit of electric shock therapy, and although it had been bloody painful for him, all 3 of his couldn't help but laugh about it. We did get in, and I didn't see Sean for a good few years after that. He did a gig in Aberdeen with Kevin Glackin and Ronan Browne and I went up and said hello. He'd no idea who I was until I mentioned that evening, then he remembered fine.
He always had a great ear for a good song and melody, was a very sensitive singer and accommpanist, and I'm sad to think he's not around any more.
RIP.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Sad news indeed.

I was always fond of his singing and his music.

Very nice man and yet another musician gone from us.

The shells are definitely getting closer.

John
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Seanie wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:19 am The shells are definitely getting closer.
I hate to intrude, but the above is no kind of English I know. Might you be so kind as to indulge the likes of me with a momentary sidetrack and offer a translation, and possibly even context?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

It means that we are getting older and closer to the grave.

When you reach a certain age and your peers are passing away.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Seanie wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:02 pm It means that we are getting older and closer to the grave.

When you reach a certain age and your peers are passing away.
I already gathered that much by inference, but the image of "shells getting closer" eludes me. A reference to cannon fire, is it?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A metaphor from the trenches
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:14 am A metaphor from the trenches
Thank you. It's not a familiar locution. I first thought of "shells" in terms of surrounding layers, like an onion; hence my difficulty.