Vincent Griffin - RIP

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Vincent Griffin - RIP

Post by Mr.Gumby »

One of the East Clare starwarts, fiddler Vincent Griffin has died.

Deathnotice

Loads of memories of the man, in Aggie Cleary's kitchen with Bobby Casey and Catherine McEvoy (abd others), various concerts we bot happeared at, several years of the Ellen Galvin festival in Moyasta where Vincent usually appeared with Paddy Donogue (and myself with Kitty Hayes) and there was a concert at Glór in Ennis where Kitty and I played and had a long chat with Vincent backstage and played eachother tunes. There were workshops I eavesdropped on in Feakle. The big session in Inagh after we laid Joe Ryan to rest and loads more. Good memories.

There's a lovely track I play often Vincent Griffin and Paddy Canny playing in Tulla : Cooley's and the Wise Maid (always a few handy tunes) , wonderful music.

He was fairly widely recorded early on there was the Topic lp but he turned out a few CDs as well in later years. A routinier, I remember him mentioning he went into the studio in the morning and had the whole recording done by the time he went home for his dinner. No messing about.

My brain hurts

Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Vincent Griffin - RIP

Post by Steampacket »

Sorry to hear this Peter. We heard Vincent play a few times when we were in Miltown Malbay. Nice photos too.
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Vincent Griffin - RIP

Post by Seanie »

Sorry to hear of his passing. Thanks Peter for letting us know.

He was a lovely man and I have a load of happy memories of time spent with him. He had a good sense of humour as well.

He used to stay in the Ocean View during Willie Week and I met him on the street a few years back. I had the flute case under the oxter and he asked me was that me playing in the bar of the Ocean View earlier that evening. The fluter in question was Peter Horan. I didn't know whether this was praise or just some gentle ribbing.

He spent some time in London and played in a group there (I've forgotten the name of the group). This group then did a reunion gig in Slattery's of Capel Street, Dublin, back when it was a venue for good music. There was a great crowd there, mainly returned emigrants and they played some excellent music that evening. Gerry Mulvihill from Galway was on the banjo. Afterwards all went to a late night restaurant where the talk was all on the London music scene in the 60s and 70s.

He also bred and kept greyhounds. I think that he was more interested in that than the music.

Anyways Peter, thanks for letting us know.