Looking For Irish Music Session CDs

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Louis Andre
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m interested in purchasing a used flute; registration facilitates contacting a seller.
I also enjoy reading the posts in the various forums. Thanks for making such a great web site available.

Re: Looking For Irish Music Session CDs

Post by Louis Andre »

[Thread revival - Mod]

I just read your post and suggest you take a look at the four volumes of session tunes on cd sponsored by Comhalts,title: “Foinn Seisiun”. Literally hundreds of popular tunes. I don’t remember there being any songs being sung but there may have been an amusing set of mouth music. I purchased at CD Baby. com who no longer has a retail store. Pity. I see that both McNeela Music and Amazon.com offer the “Foinn Seisiun” set.
In respect of your “line dance” project I was prompted to think of Celine and Michael Tubridy whose many videos on You Tube I expect will be of great interest to you. I think you will especially enjoy The Blackbird, set dance/ Celine Tubridy by Irish ITMA Videos and “The Priest and His Boots” with both Michael and Celine dancing to a Double Jig. In all the videos Michael performs exquisitely on the Flute.
I hope this reply finds you still interested in dancing to session tunes.
Louis
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Looking For Irish Music Session CDs

Post by Mr.Gumby »

:moreevil:
I was prompted to think of Celine and Michael Tubridy whose many videos on You Tube I expect will be of great interest to you. I think you will especially enjoy The Blackbird, set dance/ Celine Tubridy by Irish ITMA Videos and “The Priest and His Boots” with both Michael and Celine dancing to a Double Jig.
The priest and his boots as they dance it is a special set of steps that Dan Furey had. I don't think 'dancing to session tunes' quite sums it up (calling these tunes 'session tunes' is a pet hate of mine). They dance, now there's a novelty, to a dance tune. And it is played in a very specific way to suit the steps, not in a way you're likely to find it played at a session.

I doubt the OP is still here to read all this but FWIW, the 'Dan Furey' group, as they now call themselves informally, do worldwide zoom meetings to teach and practice their steps. If you are into that sort of thing.

Here they are strutting their stuff, underthe guidance of Maureen O'Reilly and Noel; Devery (Mick Tubridy couldn't make it), a few weeks ago:

See also Kieran Jordan's film about the Dan Furey group.
My brain hurts