Learning to play ITM

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
ecadre
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Learning to play ITM

Post by ecadre »

AuLoS303 wrote:Hmm, I just thought that ITM was an accepted acronym amongst the whistle community in general.
I don't mean to be continually contrarian in regards to your posts (it's accidental ... really!), but, what "whistle community"?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:... I agree with ecadre and neither like nor use it myself.
I limit using "ITM" to only where the term properly applies, so that's why I use "Trad" wherever I can instead. Around here, normally that means an Hiberno-Caledonian field of interest first (which is my interest too), but for me "Trad" can also include the Welsh, Breton, Galician, Cornish, Manx and even English traditions where the term fits. On this board, the term for me represents folk musics originating within a well-described geographic limit. It always makes me wonder, though, if other traditions use the same word "Trad" for their world as well.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:It always makes me wonder, though, if other traditions use the same word "Trad" for their world as well.
Round here, recently, whenever I've used the term "trad" (which, by the way, is my preferred term as well) to describe what I'm interested in playing, it's been interpreted by people who don't know me as meaning that I play jazz. It must have happened on at least the last half dozen occasions on which I've used the term. It's rather putting me off the term ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I only use the term within an already-understood context such as here, or a session, or the like; outside of that, I'm a lot more specific in my terms. This is probably in large part due to the first time the word "Trad" was ever thrown at me: I had no clue, and was deeply embarrassed under the circumstances.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

You know what? If I'm in company where I don't know whether they know what I do or not, and I don't know whether or not they know anything about trad, in our sense, I just tend to say, "Oh, I play Irish stuff; you know, jigs 'n' reels 'n' stuff." You do sometimes get the broad light of recognition closely followed by, "Oh, like Black Velvet Band, Fields of Athenry 'n' stuff!" At that point, I know I'm onto a loser in any case.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:You do sometimes get the broad light of recognition closely followed by, "Oh, like Black Velvet Band, Fields of Athenry 'n' stuff!"
You know that's going to be most people. It's the cross we bear.

But it seems to me that most audience-y types gravitate toward the songs rather than the dance music; songs are probably easier for them to get a grip on, plus if they know them, they can sing along. And I've seen some pretty bad acts that succeeded because they were song-heavy and the lead vox knew how to work a crowd. Quality doesn't win hearts every time. I remember one bar gig where a patron said he wanted songs; unfortunately for him, we were only equipped to play dance tune sets. Ah, well. Can't please everyone. If we could inspire any punters to twirl and dance, or even just clap along, I counted that as a triumph, because it meant we weren't just wallpaper any more, but actually got enough of their attention for them to register approval. Once I started playing with a band that did more songs, the audience was exponentially more engaged. In bars, that's just how it is.

One of the funniest song requests I ever got was from a drunk lady who wanted "Danny Boy". She helpfully tried to jog our memories by singing it - conductor's hands and all - but she used the melody to "O Holy Night". Naturally she got stuck, and became crestfallen. In typical good form, the lead man said, "We don't have that one, but we've got one for you that's just as good," and proceeded to saw away at yet another dance tune.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

"and even English traditions" :poke:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

ecadre wrote:"and even English traditions" :poke:
Priorities. :wink:
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

ecadre wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:Hmm, I just thought that ITM was an accepted acronym amongst the whistle community in general.
I don't mean to be continually contrarian in regards to your posts (it's accidental ... really!), but, what "whistle community"?
Meaning people who play tin whistle! Members of this forum and the Facebook groups, Instagram and youtube accounts.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

ITM/Trad - isn't it really just Folk Music, from different Countries. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

ITM/Trad - isn't it really just Folk Music, from different Countries.
Perhaps just a matter of terminology but in Ireland there's a distinction i nthe use of #folk# and 'traditional'. Ofcourse there are some gry areas but 'traditional' would not be identified 'folk'.

In the last two years or so there's been a sort of resurgence of the 'F' word but I don't know any traditional musician who would identify themselves as playing 'folk music'. I certainly wouldn't.
My brain hurts

AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Funny when I hear the word folk I think of some guy or woman on stage with long hair playing acoustic guitar.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote:." You do sometimes get the broad light of recognition closely followed by, "Oh, like Black Velvet Band, Fields of Athenry 'n' stuff!" At that point, I know I'm onto a loser in any case.
Hmm, not heard of those bands. I know people who would more likely say Flogging Molly or Mumford and Sons. But don't ask me, I don't know any ITM/Trad bands aside from the Chieftains
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"Something that doesn't get a lot of mention or recognition in popular culture, in cliches about traditional/folk music, is that there is a lot of English traditional music being played on tin whistles,..... "
Any recorded examples, please ? Who, for instance, would be the English tin whistle equivalent of say, Mary Bergin ?
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"