Learning to play ITM

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Re: Learning to play ITM

Post by AuLoS303 »

Ah, added to Watch Later
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote:One of the funniest song requests I ever got was from a drunk lady who wanted "Danny Boy". She helpfully tried to jog our memories by singing it - conductor's hands and all - but she used the melody to "O Holy Night". Naturally she got stuck, and became crestfallen. In typical good form, the lead man said, "We don't have that one, but we've got one for you that's just as good," and proceeded to saw away at yet another dance tune.
Well, now I'm trying to sing Danny Boy to the O Holy Night tune... gee thanks...
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

It's okay, I'll shoot one back at you... I had a friend in high school who pointed out to me that you could sing Amazing Grace to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme. You're welcome; good luck ever "unknowing" that again...
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Katharine wrote:It's okay, I'll shoot one back at you... I had a friend in high school who pointed out to me that you could sing Amazing Grace to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme. You're welcome; good luck ever "unknowing" that again...
This calls for escalation: Did you know that almost without exception you can take any Emily Dickinson poem and sing it to The Yellow Rose Of Texas?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Nanohedron wrote:
Katharine wrote:It's okay, I'll shoot one back at you... I had a friend in high school who pointed out to me that you could sing Amazing Grace to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme. You're welcome; good luck ever "unknowing" that again...
This calls for escalation: Did you know that almost without exception you can take any Emily Dickinson poem and sing it to The Yellow Rose Of Texas?
The obvious
https://youtu.be/K4MKQMTHplI
The not so obvious
https://youtu.be/adIzx0VXTS0
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

I can think of a few similar examples, but the best I heard was an English singer named Dave Brady, who used to sing "Pinball Wizard" to the tune of "The Gallant Frigate Amphitrite".
I also seem to remember Desi Wilkinson singing "The Wild Colonial Boy" to the tune of "Ghost Riders In The Sky" :)
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

oleorezinator wrote:The obvious
https://youtu.be/K4MKQMTHplI
I like Puddles. :)
oleorezinator wrote:The not so obvious
https://youtu.be/adIzx0VXTS0
That's just obnoxious. :evil: