Duala

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Duala

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's Culturenight in Ireland this Friday. Usually a night of free cultural events all over the country. This year it has a slightly different form but some events went ahead anyway.

I am just back from the premiere of a 25 minute film by Jack Talty and Maurice Gunning. Commissioned by the Clare Arts Office and the Irish Traditional Music Archive the film explores, through archive footage, new music and spoken word the connection of places, people and music.

It's an understated, visually beatiful affair, using the voices of Martin Hayes, Caolfhionn Nií Frighil, Claire Egan, Geraldine Cotter and Liam O'Brien and the music and song of Siney Crotty, Paddy Canny, Claire Egan and Willie Clancy (with additional new music by Jack Talty) set over archive footage to weave its narrative.

Duala is the Irish for 'Strands' and the film tries to pull togehter the sense of place (Co Clare in this case), people and how music is grounded in the experiences of these.

The event was socially distanced, 20 or so people spread out in the large Glór auditorium (there was a second, later showing after)and to emphasise the volatility of the situation the iTMA crew had the car packed to attend but couldn't travel as the virus alert level in Dublin was raised and restrictions tightened.

ITMA has now put the fillum online : Duala

Highly recommended.

And it was nice to be out and meet a few familiar faces. First event since the 6th of March for me anyway.
My brain hurts