Willie Clancy Week Cancelled

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Willie Clancy Week Cancelled

Post by Seanie »

Thanks Peter for that.

Thanks Kenny. Be very interested to hear Brid.

I liked the video of Maire O'Keefe and her friends playing the Padraig O'Keefe tunes.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Thanks for the link Mr G. Unless I'm very much mistaken, Brid O'Donoghue there on the title page , playing what looks to be a nickel "Generation" whistle, something you don't see all that often these days.
Yes, It's Bríd, either the Generation or an Oak that she had at the time. I got her a D and later C Sindt (as well as a sprinkling of Ds for the rest of the family) after she borrowed my own to use in the recording of her first CD. She's been playing those as well as an Eb Killarney.

Someone gave me a tape of the concerts at the very first WCSS in 1975, I think she is on that as well. Prime example of someone making an appearance in their teens and moving through into senior teacher-hood and then their children stepping into the junior positions for continuity. And the Kellys and the McCarthys are into the third generation teaching the school.

This sort of thing:

Paraic Keane listening to his grandfather, Tommy McCarthy

there have been a few Generations on in recent years, Róisiín Nic Donncha plays one these days, Mary Bergin used the Bflat, Mick Crehan plays them etc.

I liked the video of Maire O'Keefe and her friends playing the Padraig O'Keefe tunes.
That was lovely. I was watching how Maire and Aoife (sisters afterall) were very closely using the same bowing for a bit and then it changed in mid tune and they went in completely different directions.

The link to the whistle highlights changed, I updated my post from earlier on.

1980 was my first one, its a different world now Kenny, and at times I feel old for it too: I met Micho for the first time and we all thought he was ancient then but I am older now than he was then.
My brain hurts

kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Brid O'Donohue - "The Queen Of The Rushes" - 1980
https://youtu.be/LG1Zpi8yrok
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

From tomorrow, July 4, the Virtual Willie will begin, programme here

Lectures, recitals and concerts. from last year.

In West Clare, meanwhile, it's summer: 15C and relentless drizzle.
My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The final event has gone online : the Big Saturday Concert. Always a bit of a long haul, tiredness taking its toll at that stage of the week, but every man and his dog going on and it isn't really over until Cór Cuil Aodha has sung Mo Ghile Mear.

ITMA had a technical hitch filming the 2019 concert so 2017 is up instead.
Muiris Ó Rócháin Saturday Memorial Concert 2017

We are delighted to bring a special Saturday Night Concert recorded in 2017 featuring: Muireann Ní Dhuigneáin ; Séamus Ó Rócháin & Bríd O'Donohue ; Seán O'Brien, Eibhlís O'Brien, Deirdre O'Brien, Sinéad O'Brien & Liam O'Brien ; Martin Donohoe ; Jimmy Ó Ceannabháin ; Paul Dooley ; Mick Kinsella & Rick Epping ; Zoë Conway & John Mc Intyre ; Tim Dennehy ; Bobby Gardiner, Ciara Ní Rócháin, Aidan Vaughan, Paddy Neylon & Deirdre Comer ; John Kelly, Johnny Kelly, James Kelly, Cathy Kelly, Ian Roome, Tom McGorman, Catherine McEvoy, Daithí Connaughton & Siobhán Ní Chonaráin ; Tommy Guihen & Patsy Hanly ; Francie McPeake & Eugene McPeake ; Allan MacDonald ; Mick Mulcahy, Louise Mulcahy & Michelle Mulcahy ; Noel Hill & Seán Hill ; Rosie Stewart ; Mick O'Connor, Liam O'Connor, Dónal O'Connor, Aoife O'Connor, Darach O'Connor & Aoileann O'Connor ; Johnny Mháirtín Learaí Mac Donnchadha ; Jimmy O'Brien Moran, Bernadette McCarthy & Marion McCarthy ; Mary McNamara & Sorcha Costello ; Sandra Robertson, Caroline Reagh & Karen Steven ; James Keane, ; Kathy Kelly & Mairéad Casey ; Anna Friel, Sheila Friel & Clare Friel ; Peadar Ó Riada & Cór Chúil Aodha. Having encountered a slight technical issue with the 2019 recording, we decided to showcase this concert instead. Hope you enjoy it!

Clare has not seen any Covid-19 cases for a month so maybe, perhaps, Willie will be back in real time next year.
My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I may as well post the final contribution and bring the thread to a conclusion:

ITMA is putting up a new documentary Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy – A Reflection

Premieres on the 18th, 8.00 local time. Youtube etc after. : Direct link to video
My brain hurts