Brendan McGlinchey [RIP]

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Brendan McGlinchey [RIP]

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Over on the session.org I just spotted a notification of the death of Brendan McGlinchey.

The sad news comes at a time his composition 'Splendid Isolation' is riding a wave of popularity, for obvious reasons.

Brendan was a magnificent fiddler, with a long list of very wellknown tunes to his credit as a composer. Sweeney's Buttermilk, Floating Crowbar, Splendid Ioslation,Cross the Fence, and loads of things you have played for years without ever knowing they were his. He never made a fuss about taking the credit for them.

I recall the nights in Friels, McGlinchey with Bobby Casey, Joe Ryan, John Kelly jr playing away. Brendan quickly tuning Bobby's fiddle as Bobby went to the jax. Or One fiddle recital during the a 1990s Willie week, the hall packed to capacity with loads of people outside, unable to be let in and Brendan going out to play for them.

Fond memories.

Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Brendan McGlinchey [RIP]

Post by kenny »

https://youtu.be/CIrEofdxOnc

Very sad to hear this news. One of Ireland's greatest fiddlers, and a true gentleman, with a great sense of humour. RIP.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Very sorry to hear about Brendan.

I didn't know him but always liked his playing.

I was in the old bar of the Central Hotel during the nineties. It was that time of an evening when there is a bit of a lull. Brendan and Gay McKeon came into the bar and started playing. They played together as old friends do. I found out later that they had been on several comhaltas tours together. It was a lovely two hours of listening.

RIP

John
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

'Splendid Isolation' is one I heard Martin Rochford play, with the 'Caoilte Mountain' after. It was only after I got a tape off Micho (Of Rochford and himself playing) where he mentioned in his inimitable running comment that Martin was playing 'McGlinchey's tune' that I copped on it was one of Brendan's. It took another while until I found the name for it. The tune suited Martin's playing to a t and anyone could have believed it was one of the old East Clare ones. But then, Martin would make anything sound like an East Clare tune on the fiddle.

It's interesting how in the clip I posted earlier McGlinchey makes the transition to the second tune (Mrs Lawrie, I believe) in an almost Tommy Potts like way. Lovely stuff.

I did a quick spin around the Comhaltas tour lps but didn't find BM on any of the ones I have.
My brain hurts

kenny

Post by kenny »

Found this on a cassette tape recently - posted in memory of Brendan :
https://youtu.be/nYfOPq6vbc0
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"