Share your session stories

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Share your session stories

Post by Nanohedron »

TheSilverSpear wrote:...we took a 5-10 minute musical break to have a natter with him, which is fairly normal session behaviour anyway, right? Well, the damned assistant bar manager put on the bloody PA because there hadn't been any music for like five minutes.
I've had that happen with one particular manager, too, only he doesn't wait 5 minutes. He's got this no-music phobia or something. He's even done it while we were re-tuning.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Then a pal of mine from the Mountaineering Club stopped by to say hi, so we took a 5-10 minute musical break to have a natter with him, which is fairly normal session behaviour anyway, right? Well, the damned assistant bar manager put on the bloody PA because there hadn't been any music for like five minutes.
Once we had some bar staff who simply refused to turn the PA of at all during the session, so we had to play with music in the background. That wasn't a very long session. And once in the same place we showed up to start playing at 7 pm as we always do, and when we had been playing for maybe 15 minutes, we were asked by the staff if we could stop playing and wait until somethin lie 9 or 9:30. That really wasn't a good idea. Start the session again after two hours of nothing to do but shoot the breeze, indulge in no modest amounts of the incredibly cheap beer they had, getting sillier and sillier as we went along. Let's just say that it ended up with a punter coming up to ask us to play Molly Malone. Which we did. Only that we sang the chorus in multiple part harmonies (something like 8 or 9 part harmonies) in a way that was quite closely related to yoddeling. Good times had by all, good tunes had by none.
Last edited by Jäger on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

It's a bit of a headache. I really can't be bothered marching all over town (again) looking for another venue, especially as this one certainly has its advantages, such as being a ten minute walk from my flat, being fairly quiet so you can actually hear yourself and your friends play (novel, I know!), and having quality beer. And to be honest, the other assistant managers and bar staff we have dealt with are all lovely. It's just this one douchebag who is a problem.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Half the pubs our band plays in forget to turn off the PA during gigs they're paying us for. Sometimes, even when we ask -- both in person and over the mic -- they don't turn it off. We'll end a set and there it'll be, the Dubliners or the Pogues or whatever moaning away .... Granted, some of these pubs are so busy and loud the bartenders probably just tune it out, but still.

... Or do you think they're trying to tell us something? :tomato:

Oh well, it's their dime. But it makes for a real slog.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

I told this story once before , TSS might remember.
Well we were at a Horse fair, Cahirmee in Buttevant about 20 yrs ago, packed pub full, full, full, big crowds of travelers, anyhow one guy said something to the banjo player, I dont know what but the look in the eyes of the banjo player was fierce, , if you've ever dealt with Stallions rearing up then you know the look, wild and staring!. The banjo player a young traveler form Cork stood up and clouted the guy with the banjo! ye gods , I Hustled him out of the door as quick as possible, didnt want a lynch mob or riot! luckily it was so full and loud in their the mass of crowds didn't notice so we were able to escape intact. Jeez a lifetime playing in pubs and Ive seen a few similar incidents,

I dont drink or smoke so pubs are not my first choice of venue! I much prefer the kitchin sessions and afternoon sessions . I mean id rather be able to hear myself and the others and avoid drunk obnoxious fools[ hopefully],
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Forgot one memorable session where the landlord was so delighted to see us he took his wife out into the rainfilled lane (the pub was so small there was no room inside) and danced with his Jack Russell Dog perched on his shoulders.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Infernaltootler wrote:Forgot one memorable session where the landlord was so delighted to see us he took his wife out into the rainfilled lane (the pub was so small there was no room inside) and danced with his Jack Russell Dog perched on his shoulders.

Like..... :D
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Just spent last Sunday at the same pub, and we were joined by flutist/piper Ryan Murphy and a massive bodhran player Rolf Wagels from the band CARA. Completely made our day.

It's called the Oddfellows' Arms, in Wimborne, Dorset, UK.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

Consider

Ed's Bar

v.

Oddfellows' Arms

definitely miss some things about the UK
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Infernaltootler wrote:Forgot one memorable session where the landlord was so delighted to see us he took his wife out into the rainfilled lane (the pub was so small there was no room inside) and danced with his Jack Russell Dog perched on his shoulders.
Ah. Right. So him and the dog were safely snug inside then, I take it? :D
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

I always got a kick out of drunks who walk into the bar who are confused but seemingly in a good way. They are not expecting to see a session and watching their pickled neurons try to put together what they are witnessing. They usually get a drink and sit close by and stare and listen.

I've never had any problems with locals/drunks, a few that were kind of annoying - but no outright aggression.

I've haven't had many tuba-toting, digerydon't or bongo banging experiences.

butI had a whistler with get up in my face and dance while playing random notes, getting a puzzled look from me he moved on to the guy next to me who grabbed his whistle and grumped - CUT THAT OUT! he left.

Another visiting whistler came to what could be termed as a 'high level' session, he wouldn't sit with us but was noodling at the bar. the musicians asked him to join, the bartender told him to sit with the musicians - but he wouldn't. He was just noodling random notes loudly - then one of the musicians strarted shouting at him to stop from across the room. It was embarrassing for me and I felt bad for the guy - but he was given plenty of chances. If he just took a seat with us and held his whistle in his lap he would've been more than welcome.

Then there's the psychotic drunk woman who knocked my fiddle off of a chair, when I gave her a "What the hell, lady?!" she started babbling about aliens and the gov't.....

Then there's the time I was at a session and Paddy Cronin and Seamus Connolly showed up and were playing Lord Gordon's - a few players next to me started noodling trying to learn the tune & I motioned to them to be quiet. Later that night I was accosted by a self appointed session garda about, "what a session is and how I should behave at one." (This was in Boston)

Those are the top of my list which stick out in my mind.

Open pub sessions by their nature can attract situations and characters which can cause all sorts of problems. First off, they have a 'leader' so it's up to that person to set a tone and that tone may or may not be your cup of tea. Secondly, any old dingbat with a couple of tunes and an instrument can show up - they again may or may not be your cup of tea. Thirdly, Theres the Wallys at the bar, this may be their nightly drinking hole & a session may or may not by their cup of tea. Throw booze on top of this unstable equation and it's not surprising why so many pub sessions only last a few months or limp along in strife.

House sessions have so many less horror stories because you can remove (or at least limit)all of these variables.
Play Happy