my repertoire

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: my repertoire

Post by Azalin »

Nanohedron wrote: Nah, at the end of the day I'm a fan of the lingua franca, which is to say the beginning notes: "What shall we play?" "How about [twiddly twiddly] and [twiddly twiddly]?" "Sounds good. What else?" "I'm stuck." "How about [twiddly twiddly], then?" "Brilliant. Hup..."

For me, tune names have almost grown into just an attached curiosity, because one tune can have so many of them. When someone asked if I knew Donnybrook Fair, at the time that name was unknown to me, so I could only reply, "I dunno; play it for me." And lo and behold, I knew it, but not by that name. Ah, well; I suppose it all works out in the end. :)
Yep, it works most of the time, but there are occasions where you want to call the name of the next tune in your set in situations where you want a clean switch to the new tune. Most of the time I'll only call the key for the guitar dude, but yelling the next tune name has been useful in the past :-)
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

I really wish people wouldn't call the names of tunes in a set, because it always sounds like "Bleurrrrghhhhhh!" And I'm like, "What?" And they'll say again, "Bleeurrrghhhhh!" And I'll say "Sorry, what?" Then the tune will change and the change will be even more of a trainwreck because I've been shouting "what?" and trying to figure out what the set leader was saying, rather than thinking about playing.

Me, I don't say anything. I expect people to be psychic and know when I'm going to change tunes. I also rarely know the tune I'm going to change into until the last time through the B part, the third time through. Or not, in which case the tune gets played a fourth or fifth time. I'm wonderfully unpredictable in a session; no one, least of all me, knows what I'm going to do.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

TheSilverSpear wrote:I'm wonderfully unpredictable in a session; no one, least of all me, knows what I'm going to do.
This is what makes a session so cool! I heard of sessions where people would discuss what they're going to be playing in a set every time. :sleep: I'm guessing it's to accommodate those sheet music players. :boggle: