Junior Crehan

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Jo C
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jo C »

My older sister and I went to the Willie Clancy week aged 7 and 9 - I did a whistle class and she did fiddle. One of her most memorable experiences was when Junior Crehan came into her class and played 'the mist covered mountain' for them.

A question - Did Junior Crehan write 'the butterfly'? I think he did, but I don't know why I think he did so I could be wrong. Can anyone enlighten me?
jo.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-08-12 18:14, Jo C wrote:
A question - Did Junior Crehan write 'the butterfly'? I think he did, but I don't know why I think he did so I could be wrong. Can anyone enlighten me?
jo.
If you mean the three-part slip jig Butterfly, that is usually credited to Tommy Potts. The second and third parts of the tune are traditional and are in O'Neill's with some Irish name I forget. Potts wrote the first part. (Steve posted the name of the original tune recently, in response to weekenders, but I forget in which thread; may have been in this forum you you might try a search.)
/Bloomfield
energy

Post by energy »

Sorry, I repeated what Bloomfield said. His post up wasn't online at time I made this post which was originally a reply to JoC's question. So...Just ignore this.

Currently loving the edit feature,
Nate

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: energy on 2002-08-13 14:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: energy on 2002-08-13 14:48 ]</font>
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

On 2002-08-10 14:04, DavidSchulz wrote:
I really love Junior Crehan's music and have been playing a few of his tunes live. For example “Her golden hair down her back" I've been using in a set of hornpipes for Irish traditional step dancing. But I'm a bit confused because I've seen tunes like Otters Holt listed on recordings as being traditional and then other tunes of his with his name on it. I would like to record this set of hornpipes, but I was thinking I would have to cut out the Junior Crehan tunes because of copyright. Is this correct or is his music public domain?
I had contacted Kevin Crehan regarding one of Junior Crehan's compositions being used on the Wooden Flute Obsession compilation. He referred me to the appropriate party to receive a Mechanical License for the recording:

Shay Hennessy
Crashed Music/Connoisseur Records
162 Church Rd.
East Wall
Dublin 3, Ireland
phone: +353 1 8881188
fax: +353 1 8561122
email: info@crashedmusic.com

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
DavidSchulz

Post by DavidSchulz »

Thanks for the info Kevin. Much appreciated !
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Hey Peter

I was at a house concert here in Windsor last night in which Grainne Hambly played her harp. Grainne played several Junior Chrehan's tunes and stated emphatically that she loved Junior's tunes and how easily they adapted to harp.

She played the tune posted here, "Her golden hair hanging down her back." After the concert she played the tune again for me on the harp and her concertina and a friend made a recording for me to study --- bonus.

Thought I would just let you know that Junior Crehan's music is alive.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

His music is very much alive! His tunes get played in Boston quite often. I think his tunes are very well suited for flute as well.
Chris

What ever happened to the Crehan Tune Book?

Post by Guest »

Some years ago, playing a lot of
old prewar style Irish stuff, on the internet I ran into one of Junior's family. Anyway not bothered to follow it up I noticed
in passing conversation mention of
a 'Junior Crehan Tune Book' and at the time I understood it would be
for sale later that year.

I forgot about it not having any
use for yet more new tunes but
now I do. It would be a nice
addition to any collection and
I bet there are many Kieran's of
all varieties weighing in for the
royalties.

Nonetheless it would be nice if
the family could organise something
even if incomplete and sell it
along with some of the more tested
and loved old Irish magazines - I
am certain the native reader knows
exactly what I mean here -

Best regards to all and apologies
to those who messaged me but got
no reply!
carrie

Re: What ever happened to the Crehan Tune Book?

Post by carrie »

toasty wrote:Some years ago, playing a lot of
old prewar style Irish stuff, on the internet I ran into one of Junior's family. Anyway not bothered to follow it up I noticed
in passing conversation mention of
a 'Junior Crehan Tune Book' and at the time I understood it would be
for sale later that year.
I heard this was in the works as well and would love to hear that it's well underway. Anybody know how things are going on it?

Carol