Session etiquette for multi-instrumentalists

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Thomaston
antispam: No

Session etiquette for multi-instrumentalists

Post by Thomaston »

I thought this might make for a good conversation, and it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately.
Some people are good at picking one instrument and getting really good at it. Others, like me, tend to get bored after a while and end up achieving varied levels of competence on several. My latest addiction is my octave mandolin, which I've been playing GDAD accompaniment with. Before that, whistle, mandolin, and tenor banjo were my main focus.
Ever since I started bringing the OM to the session, I've limited myself to just a whistle for melody playing. I sometimes wish I had a mandolin or banjo to pick up for a tune, but it seems wrong to me to bring 2 stringed instruments to take up space, when we're already crowded around a small table. So, I stick to whistle.
So what are your thoughts? When does it become too many instruments and just obnoxious to others? What are your instruments of choice if you do bring more than one?
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Re: Session etiquette for multi-instrumentalists

Post by SteveShaw »

The bottom line is that you exercise good taste, I reckon. I wouldn't worry, for example, about being seen to show off just because you can play more than one axe. I'm not an expert when it comes to stringy things, but is an octave mandolin an octave mandola?? Ron Kavana plays cracking melody in sessions on that. Round our way we're desperate for a bit of colour, so a multi-instrumentalist would be really welcome.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I think it's the same, but not 100% sure. I know the terminology is different from here to there. But basically it's an octave below mandolin, often tuned GDAE, but I've been going for the common bouzouki tuning of GDAD. The scale is short enough for melody playing, but I've had a hard time with the few tunes I've relearned with that E string tuned to D.
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I reckon you've got it about right, Thomaston. If it takes up too much room, it's one instrument too many.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

If you have the space then take several instruments. That's what happens at some of the local sessions around here. At one session especially we have loads of space so those who can bring several instruments. One chap quite often brings a guitar, mandola and banjo. Others bring various boxes and bodhrans. On the other hand if things are tight as you say, take just one or two instruments.

I usually take a guitar and a couple of whistles. Tomorrow I'm going to a session that I've not been to before. I believe the pub is very small and gets very cosy so all I'll be taking is a whistle or two.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

You should only bring what you can safely transport on your bicycle.
New house rule of the eco pub session.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

The worst case I ever saw, both in terms of taking up space and of musical considerations, was a bloke who would turn up with a sousaphone and an E flat bass. I stopped going to that one. :lol:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Like Steve says, I wouldn't worry about looking like a showboater, at least in the sessions I've been to, no one seems to be there to show off, and there are a whole bunch of multi instrumentalists (the one taking up the most space usually playing several whistles, pipes, tenor banjo and mandolin and sometimes a flute), and the space can be a bit of a hassle, but if you can stash some of the stuff underneath the table or something then it should be no problem. Musically, I'd say it's a bit of walking a razor's edge. If there's already someone playing the 'zouk, maybe you shouldn't jump in and bash along for king and country all the way through the session etc. If nothing else, just use your head, as I am sure you do already and be on the lookout for venomous glares shot in your general direction.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

hans wrote:You should only bring what you can safely transport on your bicycle.
New house rule of the eco pub session.
I really like that. That's me fiddle and flute (and whistles) sorted then!

:D
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I threw caution to the wind last night and took both mandolin and octave mandolin. It worked fine, being that it was a smaller than normal session anyway. Towards the end, our regular flute player played the OM while I played his flute. Good times. :thumbsup: Perhaps that's the secret to it all, is swapping instruments when the mood strikes. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

At one of the pubs I session at (yes, it's a verb now :wink: ) I'm lucky to be able to hang my cittern up on the wall behind me; it being a Foley with the signature hookeydook on the head, I hang it by that from a leather thong and Bob's yer uncle.

It's actually a lot safer all around that way and it reduces the need to take up space. Instead it's my flute on the table that gets more in the way along with the other flutes and the fiddles and bows and tippers and pints and food.

The only downside is that people make smart cracks about me and my thong. *shudder*
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Elvellon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Elvellon »

Obvious etiquette is to try to vary or balance the sound. E.g. whistle and low whistle, melody and acccompaniment. Also lending a spare guitar. Tuning every instrument you plan to use. Not taking out your oboe unless it's an dro time (based on true story! :)).
My real name's Roman
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Nanohedron wrote:At one of the pubs I session at (yes, it's a verb now :wink: ) I'm lucky to be able to hang my cittern up on the wall behind me; it being a Foley with the signature hookeydook on the head, I hang it by that from a leather thong and Bob's yer uncle.

It's actually a lot safer all around that way and it reduces the need to take up space. Instead it's my flute on the table that gets more in the way along with the other flutes and the fiddles and bows and tippers and pints and food.

The only downside is that people make smart cracks about me and my thong. *shudder*
The phrase "in the way" is not appropriate when applied to a pint.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sorry. That was sloppy on my part, wasn't it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

buddhu wrote: The phrase "in the way" is not appropriate when applied to a pint.
It does apply if it is not your pint.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps