Music website... Need opinions

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
StewySmoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by StewySmoot »

Need advice...

I have a bunch of freely available ABC files that were converted to MIDI and sheet music, all in the same key. At present I have them organized as HTML files so I can read the sheet music and listen to the midi from one page without having to open 2 apps. For learning new tunes it works for me.

Is it worth creating some personal site and uploading them? Dont want to see them just go to waste, but dont know if anyone would be interested.

Some of the pages have tin whistle font notation...
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Stewy

Oh boy, you went and did it; mentioned sheet music and midi in one sentence :smile:

I suppose the worth of creating a web page for their use would be up to you and see what interest it generates. From the trad. standpoint, it is recommended that neither sheet music nor midi be used as learning tools. You don't get the nuances of the music; kind of a cardboard cut-out, one dimensional way of hearing and learning a tune.

Don't know what to tell you, Stewy.

That whistle font sounds interesting.

Teri
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Oh, I agree. MIDI sounds cardboard; is cardboard. Muzak for the Internet. I now prefer to "play" along "with the masters"...

However, it helped me with learning the whistle...

I just hate to see me delete something off the old HD if it can be of use to anyone...

Tell you what, I can post it, including the tin whistle font notation, and if it stinks, you let the "webmaster" know?
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Tell you what, I can post it, including the tin whistle font notation, and if it stinks, you let the "webmaster" know?
Sounds like a plan.

I do have a dark confession to make though. Santa brought me a Kurzweil PC2 (full 88 keys) and I have to admit the grand piano, pipe organ and harpsichord voicing are amazing. I'd never guess it was midi. But, I suppose it's the human element behind it that helps.

Good luck on your site.

T
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

On 2002-12-31 19:15, StewySmoot wrote:
Need advice...

I have a bunch of freely available ABC files that were converted to MIDI and sheet music, all in the same key. At present I have them organized as HTML files so I can read the sheet music and listen to the midi from one page without having to open 2 apps. For learning new tunes it works for me.

Is it worth creating some personal site and uploading them? Dont want to see them just go to waste, but dont know if anyone would be interested.

Anything you take your time and efforts to share to help other is greatly appreciated. The point of these board is sharing of information's to help all levels of musicians.
Thanks.
Phil
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I will get the HTML posted shortly. Thanks for the input (with this many hits and 2 comments, I cant go wrong can I?).
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Go for it! I personally don't usually play by music, but I think you are right that it is a very common way to learn the instrument. And the fact that they are all arranged in the same key will be very beneficial to beginners on diatonic instruments.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

To this semi-literate musicianer it sounds like a good idea, notwithstanding the shortcomings of MIDI, NATO standard key etc. When I try to read stave notation I have to count on my fingers, even for tunes that I already know, and it sounds as if it might work a bit like a language laboratory or sight-and-sound touch-typing course. So by all means go for it, and let others benefit from the work you've put into it.

When you have it up and running, it would be good to post references to it in some of the threads about learning by ear versus the black dots etc.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
CDon

Post by CDon »

Do it Stewy! Will you put it on your personal web site?
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Not the one in my profile, to be sure...
DerryMan

Post by DerryMan »

I remember buying an 1001 Irish traditional tunes book in Dublin back in the misty past. But I don't read music and never learned a damn thing from it. To my knowledge neither did anyone that availed of my copy therafter. Still, it looked the part.

The ABC music format and PC players like AbcMus (BarFly for the MAC) are great for learners (and tune gatherers)as they're perfect for learning tunes by ear. You can slow them down, transpose to another key, add auto guitar chord backing etc. There are thousands of great free tunes on the web in ABC format. Learners on the whistle or flute should maybe start on well known 'songs' at 50% pace as the tunes are usually simple and easy to remember - Cliffs of Doneen, for example. The music is well preserved in ABC format - check out King of the Pipers for example to verify. If you're not impressed maybe the hammond organ is your forte.

If you're into Irish / Scots traditional music pick several melodious songs /tunes (hornpipes for example for tunes - forget reels initially). I could list you my favorite tunes but you'd probably go cut a CD with your mates in 6 months time so go pick your own.

Tip: if you set a tune to play 10 times and it bores it's no good. Alternatively, if 10 of your tunes sound like the same tune played 10 times over go back to your day job. An awful lot of pub 'session' musicans take note.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

On 2002-12-31 19:15, StewySmoot wrote:
Need advice...

Stewy-

I'd be interested in posting them on the site I am in the process of finishing. http://www.gaeliccrossings.com

I eventually want to have a very large archive of simple sheet music format tunes, so if you are interested, drop me a line and let me know!

Aodhan
sbruyette

Post by sbruyette »

I would certainly appreciate the midi's and sheet music. My only internet access is at work and mp3's, video, etc. are blocked for downloading. What a pain.
Susan
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I have not had the chance to set up a page but I will take up Aodhans offer and email a zip file to you for your site. If it meets your need let me know.