use of ornamentation in sessions

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

On 2003-01-22 07:08, Roger O'Keeffe wrote:
One of the greatest evils perpetrated by the Comhaltas competition culture surely has to be the pipes/fiddle duo, where the ultimate objective seems to be to achieve a result where you can't distinguish the separate sound of the two instruments. That is the total antithesis of the spirit of the music in which spontaneity, and especially the spontaneous variation of ornamentation and even melody is its distinguishing feature.
Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good piping recital by including some bowscraper? :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pat Cannady on 2003-01-23 13:34 ]</font>
DerryMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DerryMan »

While what you all say is fair enough may I throw in a comment with regard to dance music - i.e., everything but slow airs.
All dance music is about timing and graceful movement (different cultures and different individuals may view graceful movement in myriad ways). If I try to play or I listen to a hornpipe for example a solo dancer is my mental image. The playing should reflect her timing, movement and grace. A good dancer will ornament a tune with her steps so the player should not over ornament (same with modern dance music) as this is an impertenance. However, a musican is free to add the dancer's ornamentation if the music is simply played for listening - or even to suggest ornamentation to a dancer. It's then simply a matter of taste.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks, DerryMan. I always want to be aware of what I'm doing given the context of the moment. Great input!

N, shocked that it's not all about ME