ITM study in Ireland

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
j dasinger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by j dasinger »

Dear Forum,
I am interested in studying ITM (specifically uillean pipes)in Ireland through a formal degree program(ie at University). As far as I am aware, there are programs at University College Cork, University of Limerick, and Regional Technical College Waterford. I was wondering if anyone on the forum might have any knowledge of any of these programs. Specifically, is there anything that might recommend one over the other? Also, any good to know info that I wouldnt be able to find on the respective websites? Finally, are there any other programs at other universities that I should look into? Thanks for your help.
Sincerely,
J Dasinger
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

University of Cork has an undergraduate program in Irish Traditional Music.
University of Limerick is the only place that offers a Masters of Irish Music Performance degree. I was at a summer school at U. of Limerick this summer and the people there are terrific - great musicians and teachers and very helpful,friendly folk.
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Hi
UCC's Music dept website is http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/music . If you need any further info, either email the tutors (for ITM, I'd try Meabh or Mel; their email addresses are on the website) or PM me (I'm a third-year student here). UCC also offers a one-year Diploma in ITM - this might be what you want. The BA/BMus degree courses are not entirely ITM - there are also theory classes in various types of music and approaches.
Good luck!
Deirdre
j dasinger

Post by j dasinger »

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have anything to say about the differences of actually living in Limerick as opposed to Cork? I've never been to Ireland so don't really know what to expect. I imagine both are fairly large cities?
Anyway, I have an undergraduate degree but not in music, so I will pretty much have to get another BA(or BMus)in this case. But if all goes well I would like to continue on to a Masters and maybe even a PhD. I very much would like to get into music theory. No problem with that. I just want the main focus to be on pipe performance. Well, Im very interested in any personal opinions,experiences or anecdotes you guys may have. Like I said before, anything that I might not be able to get from the website.
thanks
jd
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Do not go to Limerick. Trust me.
:lol:
Chris
j dasinger

Post by j dasinger »

What? Had a few too many rough nights in Limerick? :smile:
j
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Hmmm, last march I actually asked myself the same question. I stayed in Cork for a few days, but ended up living in Limerick for a few months. Maybe the fact that the woman of my life lived in Country Limerick helped with the decision, but I can offer you some input from my personnal experience. First of all, Limerick is much cheaper than Cork. Appartments, food, etc, it's all cheaper. Now, Limerick has a bad reputation. Most of it is a reputation, and they are making great efforts to change the city, but it's still known as a tough place. There's some racism problems in Cork and Limerick, some foreign students havin got murdered in both of these cities, mostly in Cork though. The music in Limerick city wasnt that good, there's about 6-7 pubs with music, so you can get music every night, but I wasnt crazy about the pub scene. I'm not sure about Cork, I'm sure it's a little better. I was very surprise with a few things I found in Limerick, like a very high tech gym, a super PC games videostore, etc. :smile: The thing with Limerick is that it's not safe to walk at night, and they will all tell you not to show that you're a "tourist" and not walk alone outside after midnight. It's a lot different that my city, and that was my biggest adaptation problem. Limerick isnt as bad as people say, but it's still bad.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Yeah, Az is right, Limerick's not nearly as bad as it's cracked up to be, but I'd rather not spend a couple years there if I had the chance.
Best,
Chris
brendan ring

Post by brendan ring »

Hi
I lived in Cork for a good few years, I attended UCC where I did my MA at the music department. There is a large and varied scene there and you'll get a lot of music in the pubs. There is no question that it is a nicer city than Limerick and that the latter has a worse reputation. However, on recent visits I found that Cork in the early hours was actually more intimidating than Limerick. That said, I have never had any personal trouble in either place. You'd have to ask yourself what you want,UCC and UL are both excellent, I wouldn't base my choice on city, but on which course is right. I don't think that the dark streets of Limerick are any worse than those of Cork!
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Yeah, it's pretty sad to see that most irish cities are pretty tough. They have problems recruiting garda as police seems to be the target of many crimes. Anyway, there's a big beautiful park in Limerick, with a children's park newly built, lotsa trees and stuff, but after 21h00 it's all empty. It just doesnt feel right for me, and it made me find out that home was a nice place to live, even with it's high taxes, expensive Harp, and cold weather :smile:
j dasinger

Post by j dasinger »

Well, this is certainly valuable information. Thanks everyone for being so honest. It won't deter me from seeking my education there, but its nice to know what Im getting into.
It seems like from Mr. Ring's and Azalin's comments that Cork would have a better music scene in general than Limerick would have. On the other hand at UL you can study trad music up to the Master's level, while UCC's website seems to suggest that their program stops at the BA level. Although Im not sure what actual difference there is as Mr Ring mentioned that he studied up to the Master's level at UCC. Hmm, Curious. Does anyone know if there is any particular difference in curriculum, emphasis, or quality of instructors between the two institutions? From over here, there doesn't seem to be much of a quantifiable difference between the two, other than price. Hey, I guess I could just go to whichever is cheaper :smile:
Okay, thanks for the info everyone.
James D
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Well, Limerick in general would end up being much cheaper than Cork, if price is a priority. Let me know if you ever end up there, I can give you some good locations.
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

I expect you've already decided this, but don't bother with Waterford. I think Cork's a nicer city. The teachers at Limerick (as I understand it) are more at the top of their field - especially Michael O'Sullibhean. The course however is only one year.
Jo.
j dasinger

Post by j dasinger »

Do you mean that Limerick's teacher's are more at the top of their field compared to Waterford's or Cork's? Anyway, I was pretty sure that Limerick had a full ITM program, not just a one year thing. Although I think both Cork and Limerick do offer one year short programs as well. Anyway, thanks for the help.
james
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Heya, I forgot to mention that most of the problems in Limerick are related to family feud, I've heard there's drug-dealing families there and that's the main source for violence. Just found this article this morning, amazing for a city which has what, 100k population?

-------
Fears grow for brothers abducted in Limerick
24/01/2003 - 2:12:16 pm

Fears were growing today for two brothers missing since they were abducted in Limerick last night.

Eddie Ryan Jnr, 20, and Kieran Ryan, 19, were with a friend when they were approached by two armed youths at around 10.30pm in the Ballynanty area of the city.

The brothers were bundled into a large black car and driven away, while their friend escaped and raised the alarm.

The third man told gardai a shot was fired during the incident.

Officers said they believe the abduction may be linked to a family feud.

Two years ago the men’s father, Eddie Ryan Snr, was shot dead while drinking in a bar in Limerick.

Supt Willie Keane, leading the investigation, said officers were extremely concerned about the brothers.

“It is obviously a very serious situation,” he said.

“These two young men are missing since between 10.20 and 11.30pm last evening and I would appeal to anyone who would be holding them at the moment to release them unharmed.”

He appealed for anybody with information on the incident to contact Limerick gardai.