recommended tunes for successively faster triplet of tunes?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: recommended tunes for successively faster triplet of tunes?

Post by MTGuru »

Davy, what is "the Mod"? Thanks!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
cw67q
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cw67q »

MTGuru wrote:Tech note for cw67q:

Chris, you have BBCode disabled in your Profile, so your quote function is not working. You can enable it on a per-post basis by unchecking the "Disable BBCode" box in your post. Or go to your User Profile | Board Preferences | Posting Defaults, and turn it on globally.

Cheers!
Thanks MTGuru, I'll try and do that now.
Oddly I read your message before logging in and thought my post looked fine. Then I logged in and the quote formatting disappeared.

- Chris
cw67q

Post by cw67q »

BigDavy wrote: Yep Chris I am reading this.

The March, Strathspey and reel set is a standard competition set in GHB piping competitions and currently within fiddle competitions, including in the Mod, (though in the fiddle competitions it is Air, March, Strathspey and Reel). There has been a lot of work put into tune selection and arrangements over the years and so a lot of the more popular sets have made it into the tradition. It may be that the current CCE senior instrumental competition rules (slow air + 3 other types of tune) has at least in part been taken from the Mod instrumental rules.

David
Thanks Davie. - Chris
cw67q

Post by cw67q »

The Mod is a big annual festival of Scottish Gaelic culture. Lots of competitions for choirs, singers, music and poetry. It has been going for well over a hundred years. To an outsider much of the performances can seem very much on the more formal side of the scottish tradition.

Here are a couple of links:
http://www.acgmod.org/
http://www.scotland.org/about/entertain ... ls-en.html
and of course :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_National_Mod

- Chris
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Thanks, Chris, much appreciated!

FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I guess I'm a little bothered by the phrase, "Artificial showmanship." 1. I do not think this is the exact thing Guru (who is ordinarily very precise in word selection) is trying to say and 2. It has a derogatory feel to it that I'm not sure is intended nor earned.

I'm not even sure artificial showmanship is possible.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Well, I mean artificial in the sense that it's not a natural practice or outgrowth of the tradition, but an arrangement strategy motivated by the aesthetics of presention of a tune set as an album track or concert piece.

In my limited experience of playing dance tunes for dancers - the core context - a set of different types of tunes played at increasingly breakneck speed is not normal.

And I mean showmanship in the sense or regarding the music as a product to be performed for an audience, with a show of virtuosity as a primary positive value, at the expense of other performance values that are more (or equally) prized in a natural folk context.

FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

This is kind of what I thought you meant.
Finn MacCool
Tell us something.: I enjoy networking with others about trad tunes and whistles, learning fingering techniques and searching for sesiuns
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain (Orange County, California, that is)

Post by Finn MacCool »

I am resurfacing to check my post, having the (mistaken) impression that I would find apathy on the topic similar to the identical post first submitted on the Whistle board.

To my delight, I have found a rich conversation, and am grateful for the input so far. Special thanks to MTGuru, Nanohedron cw67q and FJohnSharp for your thoughts and descriptions [as well as any unnamed parties that may take offense at not being acknowledged for their contributions now or in the future].

The discussion so far has been very useful to me. My reference to hearing the progression of tunes was from buskers playing on the street throughout our tour of Ireland, so the context was definitely that of showmanship rather than a sesuin where the integrity of ITM was being breached.

Without discounting the benefits of promoting the traditional playing of ITM, nor debating the use of the term “artificial showmanship,” I will state that I look forward to selecting some tunes and having some fun at this.

Thank you!
WhOA count: 20... and shopping