traditional music in e flat?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
SeraFin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SeraFin »

I just purchased a lovely bamboo flute in the key of e flat, the relative minor scale. It is just wonderful to play. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for books or songs written in e flat that I could pick up to play with my new flute?

i know sheet music isnt the traditional way to learn, but it gives me something to start with, let me see the notes, and i'll find the soul :wink: and if i know what the tunes are called, i can probably find them in both sheet music and played on a cd somewhere.

thanks so much :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeraFin on 2003-01-03 20:11 ]</font>
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

The straightforward answer is that you DON'T NEED 'specially written Eb music'! Simply play from music written in D(for example),using fingerings as for a D flute,or whistle.The flute will do it's own transposing! Probably the most famous Eb flute recordings can be found on Matt Malloy's self named album (commonly called 'the black album' due to it's very dark cover photo).I have an old vinyl copy on the Mulligan label.Most of this album is played on an Eb instrument.There was a thread regarding this album on the flute board a few months back. More recently,whistle player Gavin Whelan has released a self-named album,which is played on Eb and C whistles(Generations,and One track on a Susato c).I heartily recommend this-the album is well played,packed with good,well loved tunes,and not over-produced!It should give you some tune ideas.Enjoy your new flute!
SeraFin

Post by SeraFin »

thanks :smile: i shall have to look for that.. it sounds lovely.. and i am very much in love with the e flat flute.. so low and haunting..

i suppose i dont 'need' e flat sheet music, but some habits die hard.. i like to play what i see note for note, i'm not so fluent in other flutes to be able to know the fingering for every note in other keys.. so note for note is easier..

thanks so much :smile:
~SeraFin
what will be the end. . .
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Pleased to be of assistance.'Funny' how you describe your Eb flute as sounding "low and haunting",I always think that in comparison to the standard D flute, the Eb is 'bright'! Maybe you are used to higher pitched instruments? Enjoy your playing!
SeraFin

Post by SeraFin »

well, beyond this new love of my life :wink: i am learning on a hall crystal flute (d) it sounds much brighter and lighter even though its low d, only one note higher, and i have small celtic harp. i listen to a lot of celtic music and all the flutes and whistles there seem so bright and chipper, but something with the bamboo and the e flat is much more low and soft(along with the fact that while its e flat, its keyed in the relative minor so its lowest note is middle c and not e flat), even when i play the same things that i do with my d. its all relative though.. i'd love to get a bass flute from romy b (the maker of this e flat) someday, if my fingers can reach :wink: i bet that would be lovely!
~SeraFin
what will be the end. . .