My Most Embarrassing Session Moment...Can ya Top Me?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
gaelic_gale
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My Most Embarrassing Session Moment...Can ya Top Me?

Post by gaelic_gale »

Roughly ten years ago. My first time in Ireland. I'm a young & enthusiastic whistle player. Never yet been to a session. I'm fresh off the Aran ferry (fishing boat) in Doolin. I find a session at O'Connor's Pub & I'm thrilled. (Mind you I'm smart enough that I left my own whistle at home in America.) I spy a hot, scruffy banjo player. I approach him, as a cute foreign chick, interested in his low D whistle laying in his open banjo case. I tell him I'm just learning- never seen a low D. Can I take a look? He gives me the go-ahead. But when I pick up his Low D whistle, another whistle (a High D) that was nested inside, slips out & falls to the floor with an unGodly racket. The session that was so fast & furious, stops. (or was that just my imagination?)

I'm mortified. I apologise profusely and immediately seek my exit, deciding that my chances with the hot, scruffy banjo player are now null & void and I may as well go seek out my tent in the wet cow pasture.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

There was the time I asked after the name of a tune and thinking I heard it right, said, "Oh, the Chinese Wedding. Cool."

Of course it was Jenny's Wedding. Lotsa laughs over that one.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I spilled a glass of water, once. :cry:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh, the stories I could tell. :oops:

... And worse, the stories people could probably tell about me! :oops: :oops: (don't say a word, Jack!) :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
gaelic_gale

Post by gaelic_gale »

Oh come now, do tell! Jack?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Last St. Patrick's Day, my family and I went to the local parade, and I brought my flute because of a session afterwards (near the parade route). After the parade, I see a group of 6 people playing (5 are session mates, one unknown). I am surprised by the crowd listening but simply thought - "well, it is St. Pat's day". I walk up after a tune during a small break, ask if I can sit in, three folks said "yep", and I play along for the next half hour.

It wasn't until afterwards that I learned the session was the next day, and I'd just crashed a gig. The bodhran player was also surprised...apparently he had crashed the gig as well (also thinking that the session was that day). The lead singer, the lady I didn't know, was very nice about the whole thing, but I'm still embarrassed. Her bandmates had gotten stuck on the east coast because of a storm, the players were called in at the last moment so some group could show up, and my "sit-in" was OK'd because there was no other flute players.

So, I guess I truly didn't crash the gig, but it sure felt that way...and my session mates like to periodically remind me of it.

Eric
sbfluter

Re: My Most Embarrassing Session Moment...Can ya Top Me?

Post by sbfluter »

gaelic_gale wrote:I spy a hot, scruffy banjo player. I approach him, as a cute foreign chick, interested in his low D whistle laying in his open banjo case. I tell him I'm just learning- never seen a low D. Can I take a look? He gives me the go-ahead. But when I pick up his Low D whistle, another whistle (a High D) that was nested inside, slips out & falls to the floor with an unGodly racket.
I must have a terribly dirty mind because of all the images I got from this. Rather Freudian, wouldn't you say?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
gaelic_gale

Post by gaelic_gale »

Oh Freud would have a field day with me too. But then he probably suffers from whistle envy.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Not Itrad, but at about 24, I had the occasion to be having lunch with a couple of new friends and other good folks who play music (including Robin and Linda Williams), and all was quite nice and friendly and all were fine people, when the subject turned to something to do with the bass line on some recording or another, and I piped up in all my youthful arrogance and self impressed-ness, and opined that, "Yeah... I would have played that differently." (clearly implying 'better').... kindly, there was no obvious response, other than a minute period of utter silence with a swift and neat redirection of the conversation. I was definitely not invited back. :oops: :lol: I soon learned some humility, thankfully, as that was a stupidity I never want to repeat.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I once told Andy Irvine that I liked him but that he was no Woody Guthrie. I'd accidentally imbibed six pints of Guinness at the time. I'm thoroughly mortified at the very thought of what I said. Thanks for letting me tell you this. :oops:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
gaelic_gale

Post by gaelic_gale »

Oh you are more than welcome. Misery loves company. Especially their betters. :D
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

At the last session, a guy had learned to flat-pick one of our tunes on guitar. One of the fiddle players asked him to start off the set this way. I quickly joined in on whistle, and it wasn't until everyone else joined in at the B part that I realized I had been cutting in on the guy. That was embarrassing. Luckily, all was good after I apologized for my ignorance.
alurker

Post by alurker »

Steve wins hands down. :D
I can almost hear the aplomb with which Mr. Irvine would have handled the situation. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And gaelic_gael speaking from direct experience let me assure you that (short of perhaps knocking his pint over directly into his banjo resonator) there is nothing a "cute foreign chick" can say or do that would render her chances with a scruffy Irish banjo player "null & void". :D
Having said that, in light of disasterous romantic record of most Irish banjo players, you probably had a lucky escape. :wink:

Ooooh and that reminds me of one of my many embarrassing session moments: somehow I managed to knock over my pint of Guinness and transfer the entire contents thereof (complete with creamy head) directly into the beautfully lined case of a (most forgiving) concertina player mentioned here often. I swear, not a drop hit the floor. :oops:
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

SteveShaw wrote:I once told Andy Irvine that I liked him but that he was no Woody Guthrie. I'd accidentally imbibed six pints of Guinness at the time. I'm thoroughly mortified at the very thought of what I said. Thanks for letting me tell you this. :oops:
Man I can't count the number of bands I've insulted while drunk. Usually it consists of me approaching a member of the band at the bar after they've played and telling them I used to think they were awful but I enjoyed their gig tonight. I think at the time I feel like I'm being complimentary but also showing that I'm critical and not just a fanboy as well. However I fear I just come across as a drunken fool.

Anyway these aren't at sessions (unless you count drinking sessions!) so carry on, nothing to see here...
Caj

Post by Caj »

Once one of our group played a beautiful set on a low D, and I was so engrossed in the music that I leaned too far and toppled off my wobbly chair.

Unfortunately I toppled into him, ultimately putting a dent in the whistle.

Thankfully this dude is a builder and repairer of fine instruments, so he saw it as minor and reparable. Everyone watches out for that chair now.

Caj