If you would know the English

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

If you would know the English

Post by jbarter »

I know it's not ITM but there's a lot about English tradition and music in this.

Book recommendation - In Search Of Albion by Colin Irwin.

If you really want to understand why no-one will ever understand the English and find out what we're like when we're not wasting our time trying to conquer other people then read this book. Alternatively, if you just fancy a good laugh then read this book.

You can find out about loads of customs preserved since time immoral (or last week), learn about the joys (or lack thereof) of caravanning in Cornwall, discover English music (including the bits the Irish keep trying to pinch off us), or just find further proof that our yokels are undoubtedly the daftest on Earth.

Every Englishman should have this as required reading and Johnny Foreigner (colonials included) will find new 'must see' sights to see (if they're ever brave enough to venture here after reading this).

BTW for ITM fans he has another book called In Search Of The Craic of which I've just got a copy. I can hardly wait.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Thanks john, i'll be off to Ye Old Amazon.com in a bit!
Looks like an exciting read; I've always been interested in history.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Cathy Wilde

Re: If you would know the English

Post by Cathy Wilde »

jbarter wrote:<snip>
You can find out about loads of customs preserved since time immoral <snip>
And that about says it all! God help me, I love you guys. Thanks so much! I'll put both books on the list.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

jbarter wrote:I know it's not ITM but there's a lot about English tradition and music in this.

Book recommendation - In Search Of Albion by Colin Irwin.

If you really want to understand why no-one will ever understand the English and find out what we're like when we're not wasting our time trying to conquer other people then read this book. Alternatively, if you just fancy a good laugh then read this book.

You can find out about loads of customs preserved since time immoral (or last week), learn about the joys (or lack thereof) of caravanning in Cornwall, discover English music (including the bits the Irish keep trying to pinch off us), or just find further proof that our yokels are undoubtedly the daftest on Earth.

Every Englishman should have this as required reading and Johnny Foreigner (colonials included) will find new 'must see' sights to see (if they're ever brave enough to venture here after reading this).

BTW for ITM fans he has another book called In Search Of The Craic of which I've just got a copy. I can hardly wait.
Should be good - Colin has a deadly eye for the good and not-so-good in our kind of music and he writes in a very entertaining manner.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm

Post by djm »

I have ordered both from Amazon. I like recommendations like this. If I don't like the books, I know who made the recommendation (and where they live). :twisted:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

djm wrote:I have ordered both from Amazon. I like recommendations like this. If I don't like the books, I know who made the recommendation (and where they live). :twisted:

djm
When you come looking for me, if you've read the book, at least you'll know where not to stay in Louth. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

jbarter wrote: You can find out about loads of customs preserved since time immoral....

dont really care how you spend your immoral time, john, just keep it where we can't see it :P

have ordered the first book, will let you know what I think
Thanks again!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
malanstevenson
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

If you would know the genesis of Perfidious Albion, here are some academically-oriented greatest hits:

Linda Colley. Britons; Forging the Nation, 1707–1837.
http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book ... 0300107595

E.P. Thompson. The Making of the English Working Class.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Making ... king_Class

Eric Hobsbawm & Terence Ranger. The Invention of Tradition.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 0?v=glance

Fascinating stuff.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

jbarter wrote:...
So... was it good??
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
djm

Post by djm »

I got both on the recommendation of this thread and would have to say they are both pretty damned useless travel guides unless you are already well informed about all the people and places in the books. Both or them are about the travels of a music journalist as he wanders about recalling the names of various obscure (to me) musicians and performers and their old haunts. There is one really funny story about a horse race at the beginning of the Irish book, but it rapidly goes downhill after that to join the English book.

Not impressed. I wouldn't recommend either book.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

djm wrote:There is one really funny story about a horse race at the beginning of the Irish book, but it rapidly goes downhill after that to join the English book.

Not impressed. I wouldn't recommend either book.

djm
Yep, the horse race story was very good, but didn't care for the rest of it. The whole Englishman in Ireland 'genre' is pretty bad, but at least he wasn't traveling with a refrigerator or some other nonsense.
Read "Last Nights Fun" instead of "ISO the Craic", so much better.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Father Emmet wrote:...at least he wasn't traveling with a refrigerator or some other nonsense.
You didn't like 'Round Ireland with a Fridge'? :lol:
Last edited by Brian Lee on Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Padre, shame on you, a learnéd man like you should know that the english sense of humour is no laughing matter!

I seen that guy being interviewed during his hibernian kitchen installment adventure; he was convinced that he was hilarious, the Irish morning TV presenter/interviewer (no stranger to inane banality) was having a hard time convincing her audience that she didn't think that this 'wacky' goof-ball wasn't a deeply misguided infantile knob.

The Irwin stuff generally reminds me of self obsessed and boring revival 'folkies' that I sometimes get cornered by. 'Last Night's Fun' is one I'd definitely have on my coffee table; if I had a coffee table and was lame enough to leave designer ID books on it that is.

Regards,

Harry.
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Harry wrote:... the english sense of humour is no laughing matter!
:lol: :lol: