volunteering to play for hospital patients

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
ketida
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

volunteering to play for hospital patients

Post by ketida »

I was visiting my brother who is recuperating from back surgery today, and a notice on a bulletin board caught my eye. They're asking for musicians to come and entertain, and I'm probably going to do it. They're treating my brother very well, and besides, it would give me great satisfaction to think playing my music could help someone in such a situation feel better.

So, it's all good (at least I hope so), so far...but are there certain tunes/songs I should avoid? Sad, slow aires....out? Sad slow songs...out? We all know the intrinsic beauty of such pieces...but are there places, like hospitals, where they are inappropriate? or does the beauty exceed the sadness? Or, more likely, am I over-thinking the whole deal?

Advanced thanks for input!
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

I don't see any reason why a sad, slow aire would be inappropriate. I think, if I were a recuperating patient, I might like that better than a raucous reel. The hospital may have some sort of guidelines as to appropriate/inappropriate music. If not written guidelines, there should be at least someone to advise you as to what they have found that works.

I think it's a wonderful idea! I hope your brother heals quickly.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
ketida

Post by ketida »

Thanks, rebl, for your input. I have not called yet to talk to anyone at the hospital, but I'm quite sure that they are not familiar with ITM in this area...that's why I posted the question.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, if you have a variety of things to play I bet you'll be able to tell from the reaction of the audience if the people are enjoying one sort of tune more than another. Or after you play a few types of tunes you could even ask if people have a preference for the dance tunes or slow airs or if they like both. I don't think you should worry about it too much until you see how people are responding. Then you can pick tunes based on their response. Just a thought. I've never done anything like that, so I really don't know.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
alurker

Post by alurker »

Slow airs cure rickets, shingles, gout and thick ankle syndrome but are have demonstrated more side-effects and fewer medicinal benefits than your common garden variety polkas and slides. Slip jigs should be avoided in the casualty department.

Or to put it another way and to answer your question: Yes you are overthinking the whole deal. :D Variety is the spice of life (particularly with ITM). You can't please all of the people all of the time but non-stop jigs and reels are sure to sound a bit samey to the uninitiated. Mix it up and you can't go wrong.

And by the way, kudos for taking up the request 8). Hospital is a mind-numbing experience forlong-termers and any break from the routine is welcome.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Three of us from this forum played at an Old People's home, in early December last year. What we hadn't been told was that it was their annual pre-Christmas meal.

What they wanted (and we were largely unable to deliver) were tunes they could sing along to. They wanted to join in, not just be played to.

If you have some song tunes you can play, and do handouts of the lyics, they'd go down a storm. You could still do an instrumental verse so they can hear the beautiful playing. Danny Boy may be a bit passe in a session, but it goes down a storm with some audiences.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Some links that might be of interest from the BBC...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1775786.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derb ... 208213.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2495225.stm

And this one, not music-related, may give some useful insights:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5071308.stm

Hope this helps.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
ketida

Post by ketida »

Thanks, everyone for your good advice. I knew I'd get some good input here.
The articles were very interesting, too...I'm looking forward to a positive experience and hopefully will manage to at least brighten someone's day.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Martin Milner wrote:Three of us from this forum played at an Old People's home, in early December last year. What we hadn't been told was that it was their annual pre-Christmas meal.

What they wanted (and we were largely unable to deliver) were tunes they could sing along to. They wanted to join in, not just be played to.

If you have some song tunes you can play, and do handouts of the lyics, they'd go down a storm. You could still do an instrumental verse so they can hear the beautiful playing. Danny Boy may be a bit passe in a session, but it goes down a storm with some audiences.
I agree totally with Martin. I have done lots of nursing home gigs and I have always been happy I did it. The residents are so appreciative of whatever you give them. At one place I discovered that there was a former professional singer in the group so I gave her the spotlight and played backup.
You will be playing in a hospital rather than a nursing home but I would expect you to have a similar experience. Keep an eye on the audience and play more of what they respond to. Have fun!
Mike
fluti31415

Re: volunteering to play for hospital patients

Post by fluti31415 »

ketida wrote:I was visiting my brother who is recuperating from back surgery today, and a notice on a bulletin board caught my eye. They're asking for musicians to come and entertain, and I'm probably going to do it. They're treating my brother very well, and besides, it would give me great satisfaction to think playing my music could help someone in such a situation feel better.

So, it's all good (at least I hope so), so far...but are there certain tunes/songs I should avoid? Sad, slow aires....out? Sad slow songs...out? We all know the intrinsic beauty of such pieces...but are there places, like hospitals, where they are inappropriate? or does the beauty exceed the sadness? Or, more likely, am I over-thinking the whole deal?

Advanced thanks for input!
My gut reaction is that, as you say, "It's all good." :) But if you are not sure, why not check with some of the professional organizations for music therapy, or one of the colleges that offers it as a major? They would be able to give you good advice.

Let us know how it goes. You are doing a good thing.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
Lightheaded Mike

Post by Lightheaded Mike »

Ketida,
I work in a hospital and have had the opportunity to play a few times there as a side thing. Consider a couple of things. If you are playing on a ward with acutely ill or recovering patients, the sound of a high D whistle is in the range of all those beeping IV pumps, bed alarms, call bells, etc. I don't know what instrument you play but if it's whistle, you may want to bring one in a lower key. I agree that it may even be more appropriate to play airs and other slow tunes. Fast paced reels aren't so nice after a while when people are in pain. The acoustics on a hospital ward tend to make a whistle sound a bit harsh, too, if you get all session-speedy.
Now if it's residents on an extended care unit, well, just think Clancy Brothers and go to town!
Best of luck, Mike
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

my mom started losing her hearing before i learned how to play the whistle. when i first got to play for my family (i live away from home and travel there but once a year) my mom was quite pleased and surprised that she could hear me play.

so, although i think a high d sure does annoy a lot of folks (me too), there will probably be some folks who will appreciate the higher octave.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦