The acquisition of CDs

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

The acquisition of CDs

Post by SteveShaw »

Though I have a decent collection of Irish CDs (and some that I've transferred from vinyl to CD) my acquisition rate is pretty low. I can't be seen too often to be "buying myself stuff" by " 'er at home," aka "the line manager," though in recent weeks I have acquired the latest CDs by Danu and Altan (I try to arrange things so that il postino brings them midweek when she's at work - anyone else "honest" enough to own up to this subterfuge? :) ) . But as she couldn't think of anything to buy me for my birthday this month I suggested that she used the opportunity to plug the gaps in my CD collection. Not only did she agree to this but she also let me choose the small round digital objects of desire myself. So I have five new CDs coming as follows:

Celtic Aire (Dordan)
Along Blackwater's Banks (Sliabh Notes)
Jackie Daly and Seamus Creagh
Eavesdropper (Kevin Burke, Jackie Daly)
Skara Brae

Just the stuff to put on quietly outdoors on those languid summer evenings when I have a glass of something non-non-alcoholic in hand (I hope...)

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I LOVE looking forward to new CD's! Enjoy!

Happy summer!

Mary
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Nice list there Steve.
My own 'must haves' are Brid O'Donahue's solo album,'Fortune favours the merry' by Peter Horan and Gerry Harrington,and 'Born for Sport' by Paul O'Shaughnessy and Harry Bradley.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
djm

Post by djm »

A penny saved is a pocket burned .....
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I just ordered "Fortune Favors The Merry" & "Kilmore Fancy" (thanks for all the help, Philippe!) from celticgrooves.com

I'm already in a lather!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote:A penny saved is a pocket burned .....
:-?

Steve

jsluder

Post by jsluder »

SteveShaw wrote:

Steve
Must be the Atlantic Ocean language gap; I thought it was hilarious. :lol:

He mixed two sayings:
"A penny saved is a penny earned."
"I've got money burning a hole in my pocket." (In other words, I'm in the mood to spend it.)

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I just ordered "Fortune Favors The Merry" & "Kilmore Fancy" (thanks for all the help, Philippe!) from celticgrooves.com
Did he say whether he has "Fortune Favors the Merry" in yet? When I last e-mailed him he said it would be another week -- that was a week ago, but I don't want to keep bugging him.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

jsluder wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:

Steve
Must be the Atlantic Ocean language gap; I thought it was hilarious. :lol:

He mixed two sayings:
"A penny saved is a penny earned."
"I've got money burning a hole in my pocket." (In other words, I'm in the mood to spend it.)

Cheers,
John
Now you've explained it to me so painstakingly John, it IS ~ ahem ~ hilarious... :wink:

Cheers!

Steve

The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

The Skara Brae, which i have, is sort of a historical curiosity. On the one hand, you have the "hit single" tune on there (An Cailin Rua) that LiveIreland plays over and over again which uses HARMONY, and reminds one of the folk era here in the States. Very catchy.

What I also like is how it shows the vocal progression of who I think is the best living Irish female singer, Maighread NiDomnhaill (sp.?) and her sister, Triona. I really like Dolores Keane and Mary Black and others, but those sisters are phenomenal. If you play one of their newer CDs right after listening to the Skara Brae its like comparing a sapling to a tree...
Those of you who are familiar with their version of Spanish Lady, with Donal Lunny, probably know who I am talking about. You can just live inside of that voice, so warm, so womanly....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

The Skara Brae arrived today and I listened to it in the car this evening. I was completely entranced by it, though I was aware that my wife had gone quiet as I usually inflict jigs and reels in such situations! I agree with you entirely about the sisters. One incredible fact is that the whole album was recorded in one afternoon. I need to listen a lot to this I can see.

The Jackie Daly/Seamus Creagh also arrived. What incredible understanding and togetherness is on display on that album. The slow airs are just magical. And it's an object lesson in how to play ITM uncluttered by unnecessary accompaniment!

Steve

colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

colomon wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:I just ordered "Fortune Favors The Merry" & "Kilmore Fancy" (thanks for all the help, Philippe!) from celticgrooves.com
Did he say whether he has "Fortune Favors the Merry" in yet? When I last e-mailed him he said it would be another week -- that was a week ago, but I don't want to keep bugging him.
To answer my own question -- Philippe just sent me an e-mail saying he has the CD now. Just a couple more days and I'll have mine! :party:
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)