Charlie Lennon - RIP

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Charlie Lennon - RIP

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A message from ITMA with sad news:
Charlie Lennon (1938-2024), fiddle, piano player and composer from Kiltyclogher, Co. Leitrim, was one of Ireland’s most influential and respected traditional musicians.
As a composer, his tunes have been recorded and performed by many leading traditional artists and were absorbed in the broader canon of Irish music during his own lifetime.
As a fiddle player, his unique personal style was shaped by recordings of Sligo-masters Michael Coleman, James Morrison and Paddy Killoran, in addition to the nuances and subtleties of his older brother Ben Lennon's bowing. His fiddle playing was always imbued with a lift, bounce and rhythm, that was instantly recognisable.
As an accompanist on piano, he developed a whole new approach and standard to supporting the melody player, combining his deep understanding of the melody with a wonderful harmonic awareness.
Charlie sadly passed away today and ITMA would like to sympathise with his wife, sean-nós singer Síle Tim Ní Fhlaithearta, his children Seán, Éilís, Donal, their children and the wider Lennon Family who are themselves deeply involved in traditional music.
Charlie performed some of his own compositions at an ITMA Drawing from the Well concert in the National Concert Hall in March 2023. Accompanied by Paddy McEvoy on piano, Charlie drew a rapturous applause from the audience who greatly appreciated his fiddle playing, compositions and good humour.
RTE news : Irish traditional musician Charlie Lennon dies aged 85

Deathnotice

More to be said, hopefully I can extract some pics from my dormant computer later.
My brain hurts

bigsciota
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Charlie Lennon - RIP

Post by bigsciota »

Wrote some great tunes, just heard a couple of fantastic ones at a session yesterday and wasn’t surprised to learn he wrote them. Feels like so many of the “old guard” have slipping away recently, it was quite the generation of musicians.