9/09/06 Unknown jig on pipes, Wayfaring Stranger

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

9/09/06 Unknown jig on pipes, Wayfaring Stranger

Post by TonyHiggins »

09/09/06 Welcome to Hervé Gourdet, who sends a jig on pipes, name unkown. Anyone knows the name, let me know and I'll update.

Keith Lane sends Wayfaring Stranger, a slow air on a Sweetheart Resonance low d whistle, recorded on Audacity.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Bill Reeder
antispam: No

Post by Bill Reeder »

I'm pretty sure the pipe jig is "My Former Wife"which was recorded by Brian McNamara. Can't remember which recording right off hand.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I got a pm with this info:

"Hi Tony, I believe the first tune sounds a lot like " 'So Do Mhaimeo İ" and I think is a song in 6/8. However I'm not sure if the instrumental version comes under another name. This track maches almost exactly the track " 'So Do Mhaimeo İ" on Altans CD the Harvest Storm."
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Bill Reeder
antispam: No

Post by Bill Reeder »

I'm more than pretty sure now. My Former Wife: Brian McNamara "A Piper's Dream, Track 15. The tunes are the same except that Brian uses a C set on his recording instead of concert pitch D. I'm not familiar with the Altan title. My Altan recordings are out in the car. I'll dig them out and dust them off for a listen. I can send you an mp3 of the McNamara recording if you like.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

If the tune is like the Altan recording it's The Hag with the Money. My Former Wife is the first tune on Liam O Flynn's LOF1, also in an early three part form cylinder recording by Early & McCormick