Pro Tec Bass Clarinet Case Revisited

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Pro Tec Bass Clarinet Case Revisited

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

I finally caved in and decided to order the Protec bass clarinet case.

http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?P ... tegoryID=7

I know many folks on here suggested the viola case but it seemed a little crammed and also not big enough for me to fit my flutes, whistles, etc. The bass clarinet case is perfectly suited for uilleann pipes and probably would even accomodate a flatset comfortably. Out of the box all I had to do was cut out all the blocks on the longside leaving just the accessory box. In the accessory box I made a few cuts in order to fit my chanter and end of the bass drone. Took only about 5 minutes to do all the mods. All in all it's a great fit. The main body fits comfortably along the backside if I remove the end of the bass drone and bass bar. I can put the bass bar, chanter, and drone end in the internal accessory pocket. The bellows lay nice and flat on the one side, and there is plenty of room on top of, or below the main body of the pipes to fit extra chanters, whistles, flutes, etc. The exterior pocket perfectly fits a flute case which is a huge plus for me. The case itself is nice and sturdy and none of its exterior strength is compromised by removing the blocks. I wouldn't hesistate to pick up another one of these since they are a handy size for carrying other kinds of bagpipes too.

An Draighean

Re: Pro Tec Bass Clarinet Case Revisited

Post by An Draighean »

O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:... The bass clarinet case is perfectly suited for uilleann pipes and probably would even accomodate a flatset comfortably.
Would it be possible for you to measure the greatest inside length (parallel to the edge), so that I can decide if my flat set might fit? Thanks in advance.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Have you flown with it?
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
jack london
Tell us something.: I like pipes and other things involving music, like music and pipes. Reeds are an enigma. Though I can make violins, I can not make a reed.

Post by jack london »

Those are nice looking pipes-- who made them?
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.
mukade

Post by mukade »

That looks like an ideal case.

I will the proud owner of a new 3/4 B set sometime next year, so I am looking for a new box.
If you could give us some measurements, it would be helpful, especially the length of the accessory case. Would it fit a B chanter?
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

If you removed all the guts the inside is 35.5x8.5x5.5 inches. If you leave the accessory compartment in and gutted that, it is 23x3.75x3.75. The exterior pocket is 20x8x2. Have never flown with it. I just needed a pipe case and wanted one that was good for taking to session or for a gig every now and then. With some additional foam I'm sure it is fine for putting underneith the plane; it is too big for a carry-on.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

Forgot to answer the one question. The pipes are from Andreas Rogge.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

You do not want to put your pipes underneath the plane...

Looks like a nice case for terra firma travel. I have a ProTec viola which is awesome.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

Actually this case might be fine as a carry-on for flying; I fly all the time with my ProTec deluxe viola case, which is at most a few inches shorter than this. I've never been hassled for putting it into an overhead bin, and certainly never been asked to check it, even on full flights for which the gate crew solicited last-minute bag check-ins.

I always feel self-conscious for taking up all that overhead space, but in something like 8 flights with either my viola case or my Gallagher pipe case (roughly the same size), I've never gotten so much as a dirty look from other passengers. People seem to understand the first-come/first-serve nature of overhead bins, and that musical instruments and baggage handlers don't get along real well.

Mind you, I'm speaking of domestic U.S.A. flights.

Regards & good luck,
Mick
Pyper

Post by Pyper »

I use the same case for my pipes.
I like how you fit your bellows in there.
I have to use a backpack for my bellows, because in my case I have a full D set, low D whistle, Scottish small pipes, and all my other whistles. I use two bellows. One for each pipe.
I think it can fit a few more whistles, or another chanter.
:-)
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago wrote:If you removed all the guts the inside is 35.5x8.5x5.5 inches. If you leave the accessory compartment in and gutted that, it is 23x3.75x3.75. The exterior pocket is 20x8x2.
Thanks! Out with the tape measure.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

For many years I carried my full set around in a tweed-covered leather-trimmed electric guitar case I got used and cheap at some guitar store.

It's a big case! But the great thing about it was that I didn't have to take the pipes apart to fit it. I just slid the bass drone endjoint in, didn't have to remove it.

I made an accessories/chanter compartment out of two pieces of wood that I covered in black shag carpeting. I could put extra chanters and several whistles in that compartment.

Now I'm using a Plano aluminum gun case. I have to take the bass drone apart but that's it. (I don't like it when you have to take apart the bass reg.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle