"Typical" Way of Playing?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: "Typical" Way of Playing?

Post by PJ »

There's something about the Ballycastle photo which bothers me. I'm no expert on photos, but there's something about the resolution of image, the sharpness, as well as the many tones of grey, which make me think that it was not taken in the '30s or '40s. Most of the photos I've seen from that era are less sharp, and the contrast between dark and light is much more pronounced. The Ballycastle photo more recent, like the '60s or early '70s.

Of course, I could be wrong. I'm no expert. I'm basing this on the quality of family photos taken over the years.
PJ
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I could be wrong. I'm no expert. I'm basing this on the quality of family photos taken over the years.
PJ
Yes, you are. There's a bit of a difference between a fine, highly skilled professional photographer like George Pickow's output and the average family snap.
My brain hurts

m4malious

Post by m4malious »

...and of course the equipment used by different levels - the sort of "box brownie versus a Leica IIIa with a Summar or Summitar" thing.
That sort of quality was available pre-war obviously, so the photo in question is probably a reflection on both the shooter and his gear, regardless of year.
M
Last edited by m4malious on Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
m4malious

Post by m4malious »

Steampacket wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:27 am Also the photo with Felix and Michael Gorman in was probably taken in England in the 1960's.
Reference?

The photo I linked is of FD with Eddie (‘Sonny’) Lynskey, 1914-1972.
M
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

m4malious wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:44 pm ...and of course the equipment used by different levels - the sort of "box brownie versus a Leica IIIa with a Summar or Summitar" thing.
That sort of quality was available pre-war obviously, so the photo in question is probably a reflection on both the shooter and his gear, regardless of year.
M
The low POV/perspective could suggest a TLR, for the later Irish photos, the trip with Ritchie, it was the Rolleiflex all the way. The negatives in the Hardiman library are all 2 1/4 square.

Here's the pic again, I re-scanned iot (from a book) and a photo taken locally, that I posted here years ago. Josie Hayes, at least one of his sisters (who married Paddy Killoran) and others with Johnny Doran.

Image Image

And here is the entry @ Getty images. 1955 they guess.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:13 am, edited 6 times in total.
My brain hurts

Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Reference? The photo I linked is of FD with Eddie (‘Sonny’) Lynskey, 1914-1972.
M
Ah, I thought it was Gorman on fiddle, and that the photo was taken by Brian Shuel at the Keele Folk Festival, 1965. Wonder where and when this photo with Lynskey was taken. In London prehaps?
m4malious

Post by m4malious »

Steampacket wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:41 am Ah, I thought it was Gorman on fiddle, and that the photo was taken by Brian Shuel at the Keele Folk Festival, 1965. Wonder where and when this photo with Lynskey was taken. In London prehaps?
Lancashire, I suspect.

FWIW, interesting to hear FD himself talk about the Lammas fair - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAcxeh0OZG8 - 0:35 in.

M
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"FWIW, interesting to hear FD himself talk about the Lammas fair" M.

Yes indeed. By the way, is the man wearing spectacles Ken McLeod, about 052 seconds into the video clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHnSxJwuHDA
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The video is from 1967.

In a photo from the seventies you identified Ken, on his obit thread, as the man in the batman jumper.

I don't think the men in the video and the photo look very much alike.
My brain hurts

Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

The video is from 1967. In a photo from the seventies you identified Ken, on his obit thread, as the man in the batman jumper.
Mr. Gumby.

Yes, the Belfast Gypsies LP was also issued in 1967. So unless Ken was wearing a wig the the LP cover shoot it's not him then in the video with Felix.