Pictures of your bellows inlet valve

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
lordofthestrings
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Pictures of your bellows inlet valve

Post by lordofthestrings »

In my opinion, a beautiful bellows inlet valve can be a real 'cherry on top' of a set of pipes, and the variance of styles is really interesting to see. So, post up a pic of your bellows valve, and who it's made by :)

I'll start. My Dixon bellows have a valve made by Jim Schaefer, a member here I believe. He made me this valve back in either late 07 or early 08 after the valve that came with my bellows got destroyed; in my clumsiness and in the confined space of my college dorm, I bumped the heavy, thick-aluminum lined lid of my open (bullet proof) pipe case, which fell like a splitting maul and hit the original valve just off of center with enough force to crack it down it's complete length and splinter off several chunks of the protruding inlet. Fortunately, the pipes were completely unscathed. I approached Jim about ordering a new inlet valve, I loved the look of his in blackwood with the brass triskelion inlay, and he was so generous to send me one free of charge. It's never given me any trouble, and really matches the aesthetic of my pipes nicely. The brass inlay has been gaining patina over the years as well, and looks terrific. Thanks again Jim!!

- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
bobkeenan

Re: Pictures of your bellows inlet valve

Post by bobkeenan »

lordofthestrings wrote:In my opinion, a beautiful bellows inlet valve can be a real 'cherry on top' of a set of pipes, and the variance of styles is really interesting to see. So, post up a pic of your bellows valve, and who it's made by :)

I'll start. My Dixon bellows have a valve made by Jim Schaefer, a member here I believe. He made me this valve back in either late 07 or early 08 after the valve that came with my bellows got destroyed; in my clumsiness and in the confined space of my college dorm, I bumped the heavy, thick-aluminum lined lid of my open (bullet proof) pipe case, which fell like a splitting maul and hit the original valve just off of center with enough force to crack it down it's complete length and splinter off several chunks of the protruding inlet. Fortunately, the pipes were completely unscathed. I approached Jim about ordering a new inlet valve, I loved the look of his in blackwood with the brass triskelion inlay, and he was so generous to send me one free of charge. It's never given me any trouble, and really matches the aesthetic of my pipes nicely. The brass inlay has been gaining patina over the years as well, and looks terrific. Thanks again Jim!!

You were probably not expecting a reply like this..... Back in 2000 when I turned 50 I wanted to do something special. So I got a tattoo. I wanted it to be special and reflect my Irish heritage. I did month of research and found a lovely design on the TARA BROACH http://employees.oneonta.edu/farberas/a ... brooch.jpg So I did a digital image of it and gave it to the tattoo artist thinking I had a one of kind design based on a design done over 1200 years ago. A few years later I saw the same design on T shirt. A couple years after that I saw it on a sewer cover in Dublin.
And now its on an Uilleann Bellows.????

Nice design though. Pardon my old flesh exposure on my arm.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

(see my avatar)
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

heres mine
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Rory, the inlet hole on top looks tiny. Are there additional holes around the edge that don't show in the photo?
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Rory,
did you get that thing out of a box of Butler's chocolates or is it Beleek perhaps ?
Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme »

It looks like the third row down from the top could be hiding a series of laterally drilled holes from view. Can't be certain though, as I don't have a box of Butler's to compare it with. Ferrero Rocher look crap as inlet valves, ... too lumpy.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Theres a double row of holes that run around the side , a row each side of middle line. Its made of the same stuff as the mounts on the rest of the pipes.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Alright.... Koehler & Quinn. Mammoth.

Patrick
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Image

Alright.... Koehler & Quinn. Mammoth.

Patrick
Aaah! That doesn't help my trypophobia! :shock:

But nice for someone who doesn't have it like myself!
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
glasba
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Post by glasba »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

...found this old post and it seems very interesting - hopefully we can see more of what was done before and it doesn't harm if the whole bellows are in photo to see the actual composition :thumbsup:
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

The inlet valve on my CJ Dixon bellows is rather plain, not ornamented at all. There are horizontal holes (I think about six) around the outside, in addition to the big hole.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Too bring the thread up to date, Geez its hard to find an easy hosting site these days.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

Taylor Brothers (c. 1880)

Patsy Brown (c. 1930)

Both sets still playing by the way :D
Last edited by RLines on Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
glasba
Tell us something.: John McSherry total control, Davy Spillane tonal beauty, and Finbar Furey raw energy. Imagine them combined :)

Post by glasba »

Great start Rory :thumbsup: Your dangerous bellows looks very interesting and their inlet is like a sculpture.
Does Mark still make the pipes? His pipes were always aestheticaly sweet treat and special.
p.s. I hope the baby crocodile didn't end up skinless.