Reed binding

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
damochopper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Reed binding

Post by damochopper »

I've been using waxed polyamide (that I got from NPU a few years ago) for binding my reeds. I'm slowly putting a dent in it and have been thinking about other bindings. I have noticed several reed makers currently use an unwaxed green nylon type thread (with plumbers tape underneath for sealing purposes I presume), and find it quite aesthetically pleasing (more so than manky dirtied up polyamide!). The thread seems to be thicker than sewing thread, but slightly thinner than yellow hemp.

Anyone know where to get some of this stuff?

I've had a look through previous forum topics, but they deal more with lacing cord and waxed threads etc.
MichaelLoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: Reed binding

Post by MichaelLoos »

madfortrad

Post by madfortrad »

The thread you are referring to is used for reedmaking for classical instruments such as oboe and basson. You can get this type of thread from most good qulity woodwind supply stores or reedmaking suppliers. Check out medir or windcraft on the web, they have the thread you are referring to.

Regards

Patrick
iain beag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

Hi
A few other suppliers of thread in the UK are Fox UK, Dawkes & Howarths..

In the past I have used Marlow Yachting/Whipping twine, no.4 or no.8 I believe off hand.
Although there aren't the range of colours compared to normal thread.

Iain
damochopper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by damochopper »

Thanks guys for all your info. I couldn't put my finger on what it was, as it seemed to be widely available (given its popularity). Logic would indicate generic woodwind suppliers as the first port of call!