Ebay Items

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Sanman9510
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm registering because after years of just messing around I've decided to take my whistle playing more seriously. I hope to learn and hopefully make some like-minded whistling friends. I just got out of the hospital for Covid-19 and I promised myself that once I could breathe again I would get back to playing everyday. So here I am!

Re: Ebay Items

Post by Sanman9510 »

make_fast wrote:That vignoles listing is hysterical - so many caveats about how it will sound bad.
So I kinda took a chance and bought them as my first set. Did I make a huge mistake? I want to learn but can't afford much so I figured I'd take the risk.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sanman9510 wrote:
make_fast wrote:That vignoles listing is hysterical - so many caveats about how it will sound bad.
So I kinda took a chance and bought them as my first set. Did I make a huge mistake? I want to learn but can't afford much so I figured I'd take the risk.
Well, the only "caveat" is really the tongue-in-cheek "ultimate social distancing tool" quip. The seller says that the set is good enough for trying out piping, so you take that for what it's worth. So is it a huge mistake? A huge mistake would be buying Pakistani-made pipes.

Vignoles isn't among what are popularly considered "top makers", but I haven't heard much against him, either. He's still in business, if that tells you anything.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
PeterF
Tell us something.: I started playing the pipes 15 years ago, at that time I started making reeds. I found almost everything I needed in the Dave Hegarty book.

Post by PeterF »

Sanman9510 wrote:
I have a full set by Vignoles minus the chanter, the drones are very good with a strong solid sound, the regulators are in almost perfect tune with practically no rushing, when I got them nothing was working right, so you may need to tune your chanter, but going by my set you should end up with a good instrument.
make_fast
Tell us something.: Learning uilleann pipes, whistle, and occasional backing instruments. Just hacking away and slowly expanding repertoire.

Post by make_fast »

Sanman9510 wrote:
I read it as "you may need a new reed - don't assume it will play out of the box" but nothing more than that. Just how the guy said it was funny.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

Sanman9510 wrote: So I kinda took a chance and bought them as my first set. Did I make a huge mistake? I want to learn but can't afford much so I figured I'd take the risk.
Enjoy! I almost snatched up that Vignoles practice set myself, mainly to have another chanter. But decided to wait for one with more keys.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Vignoles practice set - US only. Sorry RenaissanceGuy this chanter doesn't look to have any keys.

David
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Job lot of uilleann pipes -Sellers says 3 sets, I would say 3 and a bit, a full set, 2 half sets and bag and bellows for a practice set, there only looks to be 3 chanters visible.

David
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

BigDavy wrote:Job lot of uilleann pipes -Sellers says 3 sets, I would say 3 and a bit, a full set, 2 half sets and bag and bellows for a practice set, there only looks to be 3 chanters visible.
I'll be following the discussion, it will be interesting to hear as experts identify the various makers and keys.

Bummer the bass reg reed is out and loose- what are the chances it survives intact?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

The full set in black with plumwood chanter, bellows on right by Andreas Rogge and case in from Andreas Rogge also.
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A Hunter half set too, if I would hazard a guess.
My brain hurts

Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

I see also a half set and bellows by Seth Gallagher.

Black chanter bellows and bag/cover with mainstock cup plus case - Pakistani.

Last looks like Hunter half set and chanter beside the Pakistani chanter and bag
The white leather bellows also looks like Hunter.
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
john

Post by john »

Just so I understand:

the full set in picture 2 including a light brown chanter is a rogge

the chrome-looking drones with an l and m bag in picture 7 are Pakistani

the drones and chanter in the centre of picture 5 are hunter

have i got that right?
make_fast
Tell us something.: Learning uilleann pipes, whistle, and occasional backing instruments. Just hacking away and slowly expanding repertoire.

Post by make_fast »

Oh I love pots of ebay confusion like this.

We have pipes:
1) Full set + chanter (left side of image) [Rogge]
2) Black and silver half set (tied to the L&M bag, goes with the chanter in the top of the image) [Pakistani?]
3) Black and brass half set (top of the image) [Hunter, Gallagher?]

For bellows:
1) White leather
2) Black leather brass tacked
3) Black leather silver tacked (in the case)
4) Black leather no tack

Bags:
1) L&M
2) Far right with fringe
3) Far left (no cover)
4) Far left (cover)

So far guesses range from Pakistani to Rogge!
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

I took a stab at it. I'm just uncertain if #3 + #14 are actually Hunter.

1: Seth Gallagher Bellows
2: Andreas Rogge bag + stocks
3: Peter Hunter bellows (my guess)
4: The bag /stocks that go with #14
5: A shooting block
6: Connector hose for Rogge bellows (#10)
7: Connector hose for Gallagher bellows (#1) + either a pakistani or Rogge reed (I can't tell)
8: Andreas Rogge full set
9: Andreas Rogge chanter + no keys but mounts do not match the set #8 (maybe a flat chanter? Hard to tell)
10: Andreas Rogge bellows
11: Andreas Rogge bass reed cover (Not sure what's on there right now)
12: Pakistani bellows
13: Pakistani chanter + windcap
14: Peter Hunter half set (A guess)
15: Pakistani bag
16: Seth Gallagher halfset (missing chanter)

Also the three cases in the back. The one on the right is definitely Seth Gallagher. I'd assume another one is Rogge. Not sure what the third is.