Online Academy of Irish Music

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MattMads
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Online Academy of Irish Music

Post by MattMads »

Does anyone have any experience with the OAIM? I believe the piping lessons are for more intermediate levels of playing. I am new to piping and should have a practice set put together in a few weeks. David Daye chanter, bag and bellows from Seth Hamon. I would like to pursue the whistle along side of piping. We have a great Irish Music school where I live but lessons are on Saturdays and that might be hard for me. I was thinking about OAIM as an option since I can do it on my own time. I don't think that an on line video can take the place of having a real teacher show you how to play but if the timing does not work maybe a video is better than nothing.
What say you?
Matt
PadraigB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Online Academy of Irish Music

Post by PadraigB »

I've had a look at Mikie's classes on the OAIM site and they are very good, what stands out to me are his teaching of chanter technique and the use of the regs. IMO Mikie's classes on the OAIM site are as per the description, i.e. for an Intermediate level at least(if not advanced).
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I would agree with Padraig's assessment of the level. Meanwhile ... OAIM looks pretty neat. I've thought about trying a course or two, esp. since Mikie is a terrific human being and a great teacher; he's as patient as patient gets. Maybe you can arrange a beginner lesson or two with him through the school via Skype?

Meanwhile, if you want to try whistling along for free, go here: http://source.pipers.ie/Gallery.aspx?id=36 Gay, Sean, Conor, Nollaig & c. are pretty good beginner teachers too :-D
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I should add that Michael Cooney is also giving lessons through Skype nowadays. He teaches the beginning piping classes at the St. Louis Tionol on a regular basis so he might be a good option, too.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

I think trying to start out learning to play the Uilleann pipes just from online Skype lessons would be like learning to skydive from reading websites.

You really should seek out one-on-one face-to-face instruction for the first 6 months at least if you are to have a hope of playing the instrument.

If that is impossible, then focus on the whistle until it is possible.
MattMads
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by MattMads »

Thanks for the input folks. What would we have done before the internet?
MAtt
Jarlath.I
Tell us something.: I'm an uilleann piper currently living in Sitka AK. I am looking for information on piping and am looking forward to meet other pipers.

Post by Jarlath.I »

eskin wrote:I think trying to start out learning to play the Uilleann pipes just from online Skype lessons would be like learning to skydive from reading websites.

You really should seek out one-on-one face-to-face instruction for the first 6 months at least if you are to have a hope of playing the instrument.

I agree that face to face is better than online lessons (for a beginner especially), but need to add that online (Skype) is better than trying to do it yourself with a book and CD. I would also say it is better than the online NPU lessons for a beginner, as great as they are, because an online Skype lesson gives a chance for feedback from an experienced player. Skype is two way communication, not necessarily like reading websites. :)
karl

Post by karl »

eskin wrote:I think trying to start out learning to play the Uilleann pipes just from online Skype lessons would be like learning to skydive from reading websites.

I can neither afford skype tuition or private tuition (even if there was someone local to teach me). So I have simply picked up the pipes and taught myself with a book over the past few months. Am I as proficient as I would be if I had a tutor? Of course not. But I'm enjoying learning and playing and I even joining in with a couple of sets at the local session now. I know I'll never be up there with the great players with my do it yourself approach, but I'm enjoying playing at a level that I would never have reached if I'd not tried through a lack of a personal tutor.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

That's fine, you can spend a year undoing all the bad habits you are developing now in the future when you finally are able to get an instructor. :-)

I have the same problem teaching myself B/C box. When I finally get to a workshop, I'm sure it will be "you're doing it completely wrong" and I'll have to start over. I had the exact same experience learning Anglo concertina. Taught myself from the John Williams DVD and other online sources. Could play lots of tunes. Went to the Noel Hill workshop and placed in the advanced class (since I could actually play) and spent a hellish week completely unlearning one set of fingerings and ornaments and learning another. Took me 4 months to get back to square one, and now 6 years later, it was totally worth it.
karl

Post by karl »

Michael, the funny thing is, I've learned a couple of tunes from you (your website) while I have been teaching myself other instruments namely flute and whistle. I found for one found them useful anyway. Not done any of your pipe lessons/tunes yet though! :)