RIP Mike Rafferty

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
vanfleet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

RIP Mike Rafferty

Post by vanfleet »

Iris Nevins from the IAANJ emailed the following:
The sad news is spreading that Flute Player, Mike Rafferty passed away sometime around midnight. He will be very much missed. He has played at IAANJ both as a session host, a session attendee, and in concert, he graced our stage with his wonderful music. Many of you have known Mike for years, and have played many times with him

We have a session scheduled this Saturday 9/17 at IAANJ, and we will dedicate this one to the memory of Mike. I got a large candle to burn for him throughout the session. It would be great if those of you who play would like to think of some tunes he loved, and we will play them. Or if some of you have stories and memories of Mike, you can tell them. The session starts at 8:00PM, and the guest host will be Tom Dunne, who was also a friend of Mike's.

We will also have a sympathy card to pass around and sign, which I will send to his wife, Terry.

Iris
and many know that Mike was also an uilleann piper. He will be missed.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: RIP Mike Rafferty

Post by Cathy Wilde »

What better tribute to a man who loved the music so much. That's great.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.