Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
RLines
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Re: Pictures of Your Pipes

Post by RLines »

PJ wrote:Lovely. How about a sound file or video of it in action?
Here’s a little video with the set I did yesterday for IUPD.
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
shakyhands

Post by shakyhands »

RLines wrote:
C sharp, eh? You'll be owing us some Seamus Ennis sets of tunes then! Nice playing, by the way ;)
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

RLines wrote:
Lovely.
PJ
JR

Post by JR »

A few pics of my George Glen set, lovely restoration and new chanter by Sam Lawrence based on the one in the NMS. Pitched in C# with lots of R L O'Mealy influence.
interbernd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by interbernd »

My new Bb chanter, made by Tom Aebi. I'm just trying to find an old reed, that works with a staple in Tom's Bb style. A wonderful new toy........

I'm sorry, I don't get the photos smaller to the page.
I hope it's okay for you.

RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

Two sets of early 19th century pipes. Both beautifully restored to playing condition by Sam Lawrence

On the left, a (possibly) Reid set just back from restoration. 4 drones and 2 regs. The set came with the original double chanter which someone sadly decided to scallop at some point in time, badly affecting the tuning. Luckily my great friend Jason Rouse had an Egan chanter he was willing to let me have to go with this set. Sam did a great job restoring and reeding the chanter and body. Set plays very well just a bit flat of A440.

On the right, a C sharp set by Malcolm MacGregor that Sam restored for me a couple of years ago. The set was missing the original regs when I acquired it, so Sam made two lovely new regs based on MacGregor. The set plays wonderfully with a truly amazing tone.

As always, a huge thanks to Sam for his endless patience taking on these sets and his amazing work to bring them back to life.

Last edited by RLines on Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Gorgeous. Any chance of hearing them in action?

Unusual configuration of keys on the Reid set. 3 bari and 4 tenor keys.

Looks like the McGregor set originally had a bass reg.

Kudos to Sam for the restoration and to Jason for providing the Egan chanter (wish I had friends like that :lol: ).
PJ
RLines

Re: Pictures of Your Pipe

Post by RLines »

The MacGregor would have originally only had two regs. When I bought it it had three non-original O’Mealyish regs that had been added in the early 20th century. Hence the (non original) connector for a bass reg on the mainstock (which was easier to leave on than remove during the restoration). The O’Mealyish regs played just fine but didn’t suit the look of the set at all. Hence asking Sam to make 2 MacGregor reg copies (also with only 3 baritone keys and 4 tenor keys, as MacGregor’s sets had).

You can head a clip of the MacGregor here. When I have settled in to the Reidish set I’ll post something too.

And yes Jason is a great friend :P. It was actually his idea to get new regs made for the MacGregor set too!
My YouTube
Ardernhb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ardernhb »

Hello all!

This is a 3D model of my narrow bore D half set of pipes made by Sam Lawrence. I hope you enjoy it!

I've been training people in UK NW heritage museums and institutions on how to build digital 3D models for research and public engagement. I thought I would do my pipes as a demonstration. As Sam is based in the UK NW doing these pipes were particularly fitting. 3D scanning polished and reflective surfaces is very difficult, and adding those material properties to the 3D model is tricky also, so they make a great example (if a bit of a challenging one!).

Please excuse any lumpy surfaces you find; they are the result of the 3D scanning process of such shiny surfaces and can be surprisingly difficult to fix!

Here's the link:
https://skfb.ly/oswnB

I hope you enjoy!
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

interbernd wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:03 pm My new Bb chanter, made by Tom Aebi. I'm just trying to find an old reed, that works with a staple in Tom's Bb style. A wonderful new toy........

Lovely, didn't know he made flat chanters, awesome
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
RLines

Post by RLines »

Yesterday I finally made arrangements to collect this early 1900s unmarked Taylor style set. I used to own an identical set to this one, which was my main set of pipes for about 10 years. Sadly I had to sell it about 5 years ago and I’ve always regretted it, and I finally arranged to acquire another set by the same maker.

This set mostly complete and original. It is missing a bass drone slide, which I will need to have replicated from photos of my old set. This set also has the original chanter which my old set didn’t, although the chanter has been mucked about with at some point in its life. Looks like an ill-advised attempt to open the tone holes, which the previous owner has tried to backfill to correct the tuning. The F natural key is also missing. Really hoping that the chanter is not too far gone to be restored.

The bellows with the set have been suggested to me are likely made by Mike Carney (there are a lot of similarities with the bellows from the Touhey set, which I’m told were made by Carney). I’ve identified 4 sets of pipes by this maker over the years (two in the US, one in Ireland and this one in the UK). This particular set has an interesting provenance.

My YouTube
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

Looks like a nice set Rick. Hope the restoration goes well.
RLines

Post by RLines »

Thanks. Other than the chanter I think the restoration should be pretty straight forward. The new bass drone slide is the main fabrication needed. Other than that it needs a new bag and reg reeds. The set has old drone reeds in the tenor and bari (50 years old at least. Potentially original?) which just buzz great. The chanter is the big question mark. I’m not hugely optimistic but will get some opinions from some pipe makers on whether resto is possible. That said, I have a beautiful Patsy Brown chanter as a fall back!
My YouTube