Ignorance and fingercharts

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
jqpublick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jqpublick »

Hi there all.

I've been learning (bit by bit) the tune "Music for a Found Harmonium" and I've run into a few difficulties, namely the key changes. I haven't been able to figure out a few of the notes, but a friend of mine says that one of them's an Fnat, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is nearly impossible to play on the UP.

So what I'm trying to find out is if anyone else plays this tune, and if so what key do you play it in, and can anyone point me at a good and comprehensive on-line fingering chart, including some or all cross-fingerings?

Thanks for the help,
Mark
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Play an E and lift the chanter...
is that close enough?
jordan

Post by jordan »

mark,
you're frickin nuts... that tune is ridiculous (in a good way, i guess) it doesn't fall very nicely on the pipes at all. I play it on banjo and I can teach it to you if you'd like. By the way, theres an all day gathering at the Irish club on Oct.19, workshops and sessions, I think if you call you can get tickets for $6 or pay $8 when you get there. Should be good, bring your pipe if you can, I've gotta do a workshop and I could use the support (plus my back d is about to go, so maybe if your reed is still playing alright (is it?) I'd use your chanter).
By the way, solid comment on the crazy thread. Well said. I had to stay out of that one! sheesh.
take care,
jordan
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Hey Jordan!

And here I thought you'd dropped off the face of the earth, or something. I'll be there with bells on, too. Should be great.

Nice to hear from you again, especially because my computer/laptop thing died and I've lost your phone number. I can get it from Tony, I guess, but email me with it anyway, okay? We can arrange things.

And I love the tune, so if I can play it or a reasonable facsimile, I'd be happy. I'll definitely bring my pipes. Is the group still going strong?

And thanks, Tony, I'll try that when I can. (It's way too late to fire them up now, 11:30 at night and my apt. walls are too thin by far.)

Later, all
Mark

edited for spelling

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jqpublick on 2002-09-17 00:18 ]</font>
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-09-16 21:50, jqpublick wrote:
Fnat, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is nearly impossible to play on the UP.
You're wrong and so was Tony for that matter.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Peter Laban wrote:
You're wrong and so was Tony for that matter.

We're listening...
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

My fingers, Peter, are poised for playing this here mystery fingering.......

Mark
Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Thanks, Kevin, I'll try that!

It may take months for me to get it right, I've always avoided half holing notes if I can because I never can get them quite right, but who knows? I like the tune enough to work on it. I'll let you know in the future how it goes. (Heck, Jordan may well let you know first!)

Mark
jordan

Post by jordan »

mark,
you might as well start learning to half hole Bflat as well, there are a bunch of them right after a bunch of Fnats in the c part. See... this is going to be fun!

jordan
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I've been working on a tune from a Lunasa CD that has an Fnat in it too. I'm forced to half hole, because I don't have any keys even if I wanted to use them. It sounds really bad most of the time, but probably because I'm still relatively new to all this pipe stuff.

For those of you who DO have keys...do you really use them? I don't think I've ever in my life seen someone who did...either live, or on video. At a norm of $100 a piece, that's pretty expensive chanter jewelry otherwise isn't it?! :smile:

B~
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I have a B set with 5 keys and a D set with 1 key. I really miss the keys when I play the D set. You don't realise how much you use them until you don't have them I suppose. The keys I use mostly are Fnat, Bb, Cnat... the Ab I also use but not so much yet... have to find some more tunes that have that note.

[added] I should state that I use the Fnat fingering more often than the key. That fingering being, raise ring finger of bottom chanter hand (E finger) while lifting chanter off the knee, move bone inside middle finger (F# finger) but leave the flesh where it is, ie. move the F# finger laterally towards the G (index) finger[/added]

Mick O'Brien uses the keys a lot on his "May Morning Dew". Give it another listen and learn the tunes fabby stuff.

I was blown away at the amount Eoin O'Riabhaigh uses his keys. He uses them in a very interesting way too by creating triplets with them etc... mighty altogether!

All the best,

Patrick.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Patrick D'Arcy on 2002-09-18 12:59 ]</font>