New Terrible sounds

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
4.0fig
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Terrible sounds

Post by 4.0fig »

I remember hearing the terrible sound one of my brothers made when he was learning to play the GHB. I thought I matched it when I first tried to play the bottom D note on the UPs, but I know I have surpassed him in terrible sounds...as last night I ventured into the 2nd Octave and oh man...What a racket I made. Each time I try something new on these things, I learn new found respect to those out there that are good players.

Any tips when trying to play the 2nd octave for the first time? Should I stay on one note and try to nail it one by one to get a feel for it?

Thanks
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Screaming loudly while playing anything above E seems to at least give the ululations coming from the bag some competition. :-D

Sorry I don't have a better answer -- let's just say I share your pain and look forward to some ideers from others!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Relax. When you play the second octave remember that squeezing the chanter harder does not make it go higher. Work on bag technique. Hold a note and modulate how much air you're pushing in with the bag.

Be sure you're using the right fingering. Practice cutting and/or popping the chanter to reach the second octave. For some real noise, lift the chanter of the leg when playing f and g. I call this the howling of the mournful whale.
Gaasfet

Post by Gaasfet »

Here's a nice little shortcut for getting second octave G. Instead of lifting both your index and middle fingers, if you just lift your index finger you should get a second octave G with little to no extra effort on your part. If the tuning is out a bit with the middle finger down, you should be able to lift it after without the note dropping down into the first octave.

Another thing that can make life easier for you is to make sure your reed is seated firmly. I've been caught a few times by a loose reed making second octave hard to get.
Down, Not Across
pipewatcher

terrible sounds

Post by pipewatcher »

"Hold a note and modulate how much air you're pushing in with the bag."yes,find a good high A note and play it for about five minutes(or hours as time permits) lift the chanter from your knee, sway it back and forth and up and down, experiment with tremolo technique-go crazy. you can get a seriously deadly squeal going. but, as long as it's still a high A note you're in business. if your chanter won't cooperate with this exercise it may indeed be a reed issue and there are plenty of resources which will help you to adress that. but i would add that even a slightly leaky bag will greatly hinder or even prevent your ability to access and maintain the upper register of the chanter
pipewatcher

"There's a passenger aboard that train who hasn't got on yet!"
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Re: terrible sounds

Post by Hans-Joerg »

pipewatcher wrote:yes,find a good high A note and play it for about five minutes(or hours as time permits) lift the chanter from your knee, sway it back and forth and up and down, experiment with tremolo technique-go crazy.
After having done so (this goes for every [second 8ve] tone) close the chanter but keep the pressure. Not the slightest squeek (backfarting :) ) must be heard. This quickly improves your fingering and creates an awareness that the pressure isn´t the problem.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Some simple, second octave venturing tunes you might try:

Maggie in the Woods - polka

Off to California - hornpipe

And a simple tune to work on pipping and even popping I give you the annoying to hear but fun to play (on the chanter, I think so anyway haha) Egan's Polka in D major.

All I might say is, make sure that the chanter is sealed - tone holes where fingers lay closed, and also the bottom of the chanter. Make sure to keep fingering not of the death grip variety as stated above. And of course, practice, practice, practice.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

Backfarting - what a great word for that sound that I know and hate so much.

A couple of other hints - since you live in the central coast of Calif. ....make sure your skin is not dried out. Good hand lotion helps seal the chanter holes. And use a smooth leather popping strap.

I also recommend you try to attend the So. California UP club tionol coming up in a few months. Some face time instruction is super valuable.
Otherwise, if you can, drive down and get some lessons from Patrick D'Arcy.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

4.0fig- where in the central valley? There are some So Cal members that live out there as well.
waymer

Post by waymer »

There are some So Cal members that live out there as well

Tell me about it :D
Jamie
Live every day as if it were your last, for one day you are sure to be right.
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

anyone that plays the pipes lives "out there" :D (IMHO)
4.0fig

Post by 4.0fig »

I live in Fresno...right in the middle of the state. I have been trying to get together with Jaime, but haven't been able to do it just yet. My fault due to my way too busy life, but that is another story. I like the ideas you have given, especially the closing the chanter and keeping the pressure. I might be able to make the So Cal Tinol...being that Friday is Halloween and my young sons would not forgive their father if his missed that night...I would be coming down Saturday morning....that is a possibility. I do need some face to face time and realize how valuable it is.

Wolvy,

For a second I thought you were talking about putting lotion on the chanter! Where I live it is a very dry environment and do have dry skin...I will see how the lotion works. Which is best for rosewood?(wink, wink)
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I don't know if there would be any untowardly affects for fingers all laced up with lotion, ie, oils that may react badly with the wood on the chanter, but I remember after tying in my my half-set to the bag my fingers were nicely coated with wax from the sinew, which I immediately noticed helped in sealing the chanter holes.

I guess the oils in lotion probably wouldn't do anymore "damage" then the oils in your fingers.
billh

Post by billh »

Key_of_D wrote: I guess the oils in lotion probably wouldn't do anymore "damage" then the oils in your fingers.
It depends on the lotion. Many contain small amounts of some sort of alcohol, which can attach certain finishes - I'd avoid them if your chanter has any shellac-based coatings on it. Probably harmless for most ebony or blackwood chanters which often have no finish other than the wood itself...

Bill
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Well that confirms my suspicion... I'm no lotion expert, but I figured some of them might just be harmful to the wood. See? it pays to be paranoid. :D