different design

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
pdunn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pdunn »

Anyone ever heard of the Glasgow pipemaker Jim Daily? I have no experience with him or his pipes, but I really like his idea for what he calls a "rationalised full set". It sounds like a half set that is capable of playing some chordal accompaniment notes by stopping off the length of some of the drones with a key. Am I reading this wrong? Might be an interesting concept. Any precedent for this type of drone design in uilleann pipes? I think I have seen other types of bagpipes that have had keys capable of changing drone pitch while playing, maybe musettes. http://www.uilleann-pipes.com/r_fullset-extrapipe.shtml

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pdunn on 2002-09-12 13:34 ]</font>
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

I know Jim very well and he is forever being innovative with his sets.They are going down well over in Belfast and in Europe at the moment and he is able to give full chordal accompianment(regs) with just 3 keys on the drones.They may not be orthodox in the strict sense but they play very well and easily and are fully gaurenteed.
Slan go foill
Liam
(ps He has been playing and making pipes for 30years and is an All Britain Champion.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uilliam on 2002-09-12 18:42 ]</font>
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

CRAP! I was trying to design a smallpipe with a third "proto-regulator" type drone.
It would have used switches along the same line. I guess there is nothing new under the sun. lol
Marc
omarapiping

Post by omarapiping »

I have read with interest the messages about drones with reg keys and I have some questions. Does the playing of the keys adveresley affect the drone sound? What sort of cost is involved, and can this be done to any half set?

Cheers,
Liam.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Uilliam,
Without going into the concert pitch versus flat pitch debate, Uilleann pipes have (for the most part) been unchanged for a few hundred years.
Are we to accept that one 'innovative' pipemaker has the ability to recreate a portion of this instrument... still calling them Uilleann Pipes and gaining acceptance throughout the UK and Europe?
How long have/has these rationalized pipes been on the market?
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Marc what do you mean by CRAP.I have played the things and they work well,not only that his students which must number a dozen at the moment play them and they are not complaining.
Tony,when the regulators came along back in 1740 people must have thought them innovative,look at Geoff Woofs article on regs and he says that they have not been fully exploited and there was still room for developement(or something like that sorry Geoff) well thats what Jim has done.
By having a DROG (he calls them) the tone will chang when the key is operated but it will change harmonic so will produce a reg chord.As I said before they dont look like an orthodox set but they play well.For more info best visit his site uillean-pipes.com
Slan Go Foill
Liam

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uilliam on 2002-09-13 04:49 ]</font>
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I've been to the website.. there isn't sufficient information on it and that's why I'm asking the questions.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Hello Tony.I have been speaking to Jim today and the simplest form he does is with a Bass Drone in D and a single open regulator playing in A which by closing gives a G.Using the open key principle
A+D =D chord
G+D= G chord
With 3 keys he can get the chords D G and A minor.
As regards Marc Jim says he would be happy to pass on his info to him (or anyone else for that matter) his number is 0141 946 3711
I'm not really sure of the price Its on his website but I think they are about £1000
When I said earlier about Belfast I meant all over the North and Doolin has just placed an order.Hope this helps
Slan go foill
Liam
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Dear Liam,
I only said crap to express my frustration at not having come up with it first. I thought it was an original innovation that I would change a small part of the piping world with. Obviously Jim is a genius of similar bent and I may take him up on his kind offer to share info with me. Please thank him for me and tell him I'll be in touch some time.
Marc
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Marc your explanation made me smile!Who knows between the two of you a fascinating set may develope!
Liam