Willie Week 2002

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
emer

Post by emer »

RTÉ Radio 1 will play excerpts from the piping concert at the Willie Clancy Summer School 2002 on the 'The Late Session' - 10:02 - 11:00 presented by Áine Hensey, dates as below :-
Friday 4th October - Mikey Smyth – flat pitch
Friday 11th October - Tommy Keane - concert pitch
Friday 18th October - Robbie Hannon – flat pitch
Friday 25th October - Mick O'Brien - plays the Road to Lough Swilly, a specially commissioned piece. concert pitch with four drones I think, although I had to leave before he played as he was late!
If you haven’t heard Mikey Smyth, don’t miss him although personally I think he over-uses the regulators.
RTE 1 is available on http://www.rte.ie, show can be heard live or from the ‘missed a show’ section, look around on the website and you’ll find it.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Nice one Emer,

Thanks for spreading the word.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of the Road to Lough Swilly?

All the best,

Patrick.
emer

Post by emer »

unfortunately, Patrick, I missed Mick O'Brien. He arrived late - due to being held up by a traffic jam apparently - you know how busy traffic can be in the metropolitan area of Miltown Malbay. I had to leave just as he arrived.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

I was at the Wednesday piping recital at Willie Week 2002 and heard the "Road to Lough Swilly" played by Mick O'Brien. Mick's pipes were sounding fine and in tune, and fair dues to him for learning to play the piece. However personally I'd rather have listened to Mick play some traditional tunes on the pipes rather than this newly composed pipe piece. Not my cup of tea, but there are certainly others that would like this kind of modern composed "program" music.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I was sort of there too I think, but seriously, I always feel that this sort of pieces make you instantly aware of the limitations of the pipes. There were some nice enough corners in the piece itself but as I said, the range and flexibility of the pipes limited compared to instruments that are more associated with composed ['classical'] music. Placing the pipes in a context other than the one they are 'at home' in, doesn't put them at an advantage.

Pieces like the Foxchase and Gol na mBan san Ar have in a way exhausted the possibilities or pushed the 'genre' if you like to it's limits. It's very hard to surpass that I think. Having said that, I did enjoy the piece, Mick did a great job on it and it certainly worth exploring new ground.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-09-13 10:24 ]</font>
emer

Post by emer »

very nice playing it was too, Peter, I did stay long enough to hear the composer's description of the piece and got very confused with his talk of cuckoos - I'm not sure if they were his inspiration or was it the hornpipe he was talking about.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"very nice playing it was too, Peter," Emer

I certainly agree. Peter Laban was a surprise guest, as Mick was caught up in traffic. I for one would have liked to have heard more of Peter's piping on his C set. Fair dues also for jumping in at very short notice. Peter is definitly one of the best pipers in Ireland by the way.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Don't go over the top now, I bet you are only saying that because I actually played the Steampacket that night.
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Hey there, all.

I wish I'd been there, it would have been great to hear you, Peter.

I know from other threads that some folks here don't exactly appreciate Jerry O'Sullivan, but on The Gift, the last tune he plays is a Gavotte, I think. I'm not sure of the name of it as I've long since lost the cover. I found it lovely and wonderfully in the range and tonality of the pipes he's playing. Just my two cents.

Mark
piperben

Post by piperben »

Jerry's a fine piper
praetorius

Post by praetorius »

The last piece on the "Gift" is three movements from J.S. Bach's Orchestral Suite in D (Gavottes, Bouree, and Gigue), with the oboe part being played on the pipes.

The uilleann pipe chanter (narrow-bore, anyway) is similar in many respects to a baroque oboe, but I do have to agree with Peter's comments about the limitations of the instrument. Jerry is technically a great player, no question, but some parts of the Bach are noticeably out of tune and sound "forced" (although the fact that the accompanying harpsichord seems to be tuned to equal temperament doesn't help). On the oboe, of course, you can compensate for this because you have the reed in your mouth.

I guess I'm saying that I admire people who are trying to stretch the boundaries of an instrument, but I'd still rather play a gigue on the oboe, and a jig on the pipes.
piperben

Post by piperben »

Yes, I would agree with you.